1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Guy says Thanks and Door Sensor Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FrancoRios, Apr 27, 2019.

1. FrancoRios

FrancoRios New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Greetings! I bought a used 2007 Prius in April 2016 when my PT Cruiser got totaled after hitting a light pole in a parking lot at low speed. I went to the used car dealer and they made a deal on this 4 Door Hatchback with 90,000 miles on it. Since then I drive it to work in Reno, and drive it back and forth between Reno and Sacramento. After 3 years we have reached 109,000 miles.

I have been lurking on these forums the last couple of years looking for tips. I have to say thanks because my 12V battery went dead a couple of weeks ago. Reading these forums helped confirm that I could change the battery myself. I bought a dealer battery for $211. The one I took out was marked E12, or May 2012. It was an 84 month rated battery and it died right at 84 months. Actually it did give me a few warning in the last year.

Thanks for posting all the useful information on these old cars because made me confident enough to try changing it myself. I hate working on cars. But I have to cut corners wherever I can.

Another issue that popped up is the "Door Open" sensor started mis-behaving. It keeps showing a door open even though after I checked all the doors again. Is there a way to figure out which door sensor is acting up?

Thanks again for all the great posts you all have contributed

Have a good day!
    Franco Rios
    2007 Prius in Reno, NV.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    try putzing around with each switch to see if the light goes out. i want to say it is usually the hatch mechanism, but you never know.

3. FrancoRios

FrancoRios New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Okay. Pushed all the buttons on the doors. Slammed the hatch real hard and light went out. As I drove I hit a bump and the Door Open warning light came on. So I guess that sensor needs to be replaced. Is that a big deal? It looks like there's just a plastic cover but I don't want to rip anything trying to open it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with the hatch, it's usually more of an adjustment to the closing mechanism. try searching here, google and youtube for write ups/videos

FrancoRios likes this.
  5. FrancoRios

FrancoRios New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Okay, here is the update. After watching youtube posts I determined it was not the sensor but the latch mechanism of the rear hatch not fully closing. I sprayed into the door latch with a greaseless lubricant from LPS. The aerosol can has a straw so I did not have to remove any covers. That was a week ago and the door ajar warning has not turned on. Thanks for the clues! Have a good day!

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)