1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Guy with Tire Questions

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Xaran, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Im new to the Prius world so please bear with me. Ive also used the search and cant find a direct answer to my question. So... Im driving a 2010 "V" with 215/45-17 tires and rims the Prius models that run the 15" tires and rims use 195/65-15 tires and from what ive read the 15" tires and rims tend to get better mileage.

In my search I see the 15" diameters are avg 25" while the 17" diameters are an avg of 24.7" . I understand there is also the difference of tread width creating contact and drag but would "plus" sizing to a 225/45-17 tire with a avg diameter of 25 help improve mileage over the smaller 17" diameter tires?

Lastly do the LRR tires really get much better mileage or can milage be improved with a "summer" or performance tire by using max air pressure?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In short no, going to the taller but wider (heavier) 225/45/17 will not really help mpg. It's not so much the outside diameter of the tire that makes the 15" tires more fuel efficient. If that were the case then 17" tires on a GenII would yield better mpg because they are taller than the GenII 15" tire.

LRR tires do help increase fuel economy but with 17s it is harder to notice a large difference between a non-LRR and a good LRR tire. It could be that we have simply have not done enough testing.

The key is finding a quality tire that fits your specifics needs that is well priced, lasts a long time and gets good fuel economy. Something like the Ecopia EP422, Primacy MXM4, AVID Ascend, and Defender. The Continental ExtrememeContact DWS is a good non-LRR alternative. Click the links in my sig for more info or look at the Priuschat wiki page.

3. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for the info