1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Head Gasket and battery...or start over, need advice.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Amanda Williams, Aug 23, 2024 at 4:16 PM.

1. Amanda Williams

Amanda Williams New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a 2013 Persona Series III, I bought it at 120K miles four years ago for 8,000.00 and now am up to 214K miles. It is rumbling at start up, diagnosed today, needing head gasket for 3700.00 quote and also on original hybrid battery so that may need to be replaced. Is it smarter to put 6K into it, I love the car and know what I have, or start over with 10K for a Prius with 100K miles or so and take my chances on the unknown? Thank you in advance for your advice!

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMO, it is not worth putting 6k into a 2013 Gen 3 Prius. Buy a newer Gen 4 Prius.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How’s the oil consumption?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Pretty much our story with the black cherry Persona sitting here except we only paid about $4,000 near the same time frame you're discussing here and then we only paid I have $2,500 in the used JDM engine in its install I also put in a low mileage transmission at the same time so that my 236,000 mi chassis would have a well maybe 85,000 mi engine and transmission I would say to you don't do it The car is not worthy didn't even look to see where you are but if you're in any place that doesn't have perfect weather then probably not a thing The car is not set up to be a thing this is planned obsolescence basically and you'll never see any classic 2010 automobiles I don't think maybe pictures of it's not a worthy vehicle We also own four generation two's very worthy vehicles and they will go 600,000 pretty easily too You will be tired of the car before it's tired of you that's a fact for most Americans anyway so these are things to consider Don't put a lot of money into anything with the 2ZFXE that would be a good move on most people who reading this now if it's something you can do yourself and you just want to do it and so on have at it Just don't expect a whole lot You should see the black cherry Persona now that it's been sitting for about I don't know 3 months when does rolled up right here in the yard It stinks inside you can smell moisture getting in it the door panels are caved in and the two front doors where you put your arms those panels of nonsense etc even if I was to get it back running right It's just not a thing. My generation 2 green car with perforated leather interior sits next to it It's not even a fair comparison at all The planned obsolescence vehicle looks terrible The generation 2 even unwashed driven daily looks twice the car I guess it takes a certain person to see that and that's a good thing so there's plenty for me to get when I want them

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would use the opportunity to trade up to something newer. More & better safety features are the primary reason.

I usually suggest getting the youngest one you can afford, never mind what the odometer says.

6. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you only have $10 to spend than I'd say get it repaired for $6. You won't find another car in the condition yours will be for $10k. You really don't want to buy a Gen3 Prius with 100 k miles......you may not be as fortunate this time as you were with the one you have. I think your battery is probably good for a few more years, most are going well over 10 years.