1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Head unit problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Elreq, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Elreq

Elreq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have an '05 Prius.
    I had my local audio store install a Kenwood KDC-X993 "stealth install"

After they installed it they told me this was the first time they had done an install on a "new" model Prius.
    Anyway the problem is once i got the car back none of my MDF controls work. the unit still has power but doesnt display the info. when i go to climate it says it is not connected. when i go to trip info it shows the screen but doesnt show any info.

When i called the place after i got it home he said maybe it is a cable he had unplugged from the original head unit and not plugged back in. and he said that the original head unit doesnt have any power. I asked him about the Toyota cable BHA-1761. he didnt know about it. would that be the problem? do i need the original head unit powered? some one help me so i can make sure this gets done right.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You either have to have the original head unit plugged back in or you have to use the resitor mod.

I posted this information in my install thread. Maybe you could copy the important information, paste it into a word doc. and print it for them. If they still cannot figure it out PM me and I'll give you my number so they can call me and I can explain it.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html

3. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the connectors on the back of the stock radio should still be plugged into the stock radio. The stock radio won't have power, but the connection is needed for the climate control to work. It should be a simple fix - they'll just disassemble the dash again and make the connection.