1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New here! Going from 2014-2017 eco! Wanting details and curious about the new battery!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hollys1911, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hollys1911

Hollys1911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey All-
    Absolutely loved my 2014 Prius II and now looking to trade up and husband and I both about to buy two Prius II Ecos! Just so worried about the new battery and to change ANYTHING since my experience with my 2014 II has been so ideal! I'm not concerned with options or trivial things- just battery longevity, power train or major expense issues coming up! We need reliable and inexpensive transportation while we both commute far to schools and just get through! Don't want expensive surprises or else I'd just keep my current bunny (pearl white 2014 Prius II 73k miles)! I'm also just wondering if we should keep the white rabbit and only get one new one! But again we have zero time or money for repairs for the next two years!

RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

toyota has years of lithium ion experience, so, no worries there. mine is 6 years old with no issues.

don't forget, no rear wiper or spare tire on the eco.

i don't recall many problems with gen 4, but you could say the same thing about a '14 with 73k.

Hollys1911, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome!
    Heck, the factory warranty goes all the way to 100 k, even in non-carb states. IMO, keap the bunny at LEAST that long, or maybe a couple months prior to. That way when you unload it, you still have a bit of factory warranty to offer up to a subsequent owner, which always makes the new buyer feel great.

Hollys1911 and RCO like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do note this. Also, do the Eco still often come with a hard-to-fine tire, Blue Earth, say in the case of a irreparable flat?

If I was buying, and in the US, I would go for a level 2, or 3, and not Touring.

Hollys1911, RCO and bisco like this.
  5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How much will it cost you to trade up?

Hollys1911 and RCO like this.
  6. Hollys1911

Hollys1911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It isn't quoting to be very much at all! Also- the dealer is the largest in the Southeast, so he offered us LIFETIME bumper to bumper warranty, oil change, tire rotations and tire blow out roadside for as long as we own the vehicle for a mere 3$ more per month on our payments as long as we get two new! We stay around the Raleigh area and don't plan on moving! So this rocked on our opinion! We have normal Toyota care but can use Hendricks for any of these services as long as we want. If we sell the vehicle, then the coverages will only go to 100k. Plus, of course we have the toyota care. I don't think I can resist. The biggest thing for us right now is that we can get through the next 2-3 years with no driving issues & unexpected maintenance costs. Most especially while my husband is getting through engineering school!

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Gen 4 non-Touring seem to have the same tires. Brands seem to vary based on factory stock? ECO recommended tire pressures are higher though.

I got the trim two because I wanted the spare and I did not think the cost difference for a trim Three was worth it.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2017 added many safety features as standard. Halfway through 2017 they also added blind spot monitoring and a couple of other safety features as no charge options as default on the cars.

The feature differences are listed here.

4G Prius Features & Specifications (2016-?) | PriusChat

9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well. as long as the payments are comfortable for you, you shouldn't have to worry about any extra costs.

I would make sure that you have a full understanding of that warranty. For example, is the warranty only at their dealership? If so, do you and your husband plan to stay in the Triangle area for the long term? Once the Toyota Care period is over, are you expected to pay for any other services to keep the warranty in force? Etc.

Sounds to me that you have crunched the numbers, are comfortable with the costs and are excited about getting two new PRii.
    Congrats. Keep us informed how it goes.

Your 2014 will become a good vehicle for someone else.

RCO likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah my main grumble would be the lack of 3 door smart key. I'm not sure which way I would go, but I'd be unhappy both ways, either missing it with 2, or paying through the nose for fluff to get it on the 3.

Prodigyplace likes this.