1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New here, help.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wliangy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I hope I am doing the right thing in terms of posting.

I have two questions about the SKS.

1) I checked the threads here and learned that I only needed to push the "key" button below the steering wheel column. It did not work. Then I asked my dealer, he insisted this is the way but later said that I have to insert my fob into the console before I push the button. Is this right?

2) I experienced several times that the passenger door did not open when I stood next to it with the fob, but the driver side opened. Is this right?

Thanks.

:unsure:

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1) If SKS is on, you only need to have the key with you, and simply press the Power button.
    2) This is normal. You can change this so that all the doors open. It's in the manual and somewhere on this site. Again, with SKS, you need only grab the handle to unlock.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think lenjack answered your questions.
    In addition, the button below steering wheel of SKS is to completely turn off SKS to save battery power in case you need to store your Prius for a longer period of time. Leave it on if you get to your Prius frequently even once a week.
    Some SKS (many different names from different automakers) system (e.g. Acura) requires the SKS fob be inserted into a slot
    before you press the Power button. Not Toyota/Lexus' system.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey there, GG7. Welcome to Priuschat and congrats on your new Prius.

1) The button under the steering wheel will enable/disable the SKS.
    Try this:
    i) Push the button in, lock the doors and then try to open the doors by simply gripping the door handle. Then get in the car and without inserting the fob into the dashboard, start the car. Then shut the car off.
    ii) Push the button again to toggle it out. Lock the doors and get out. Now try to open the doors simply by gripping the handles. Then get inside and again without inserting the fob start the car.

2) There are programming options for the push-button of the fob. There are instructions laying around somewhere around here on how to do this. I'll check around.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To add to the information already posted, when the SKS is turned on (via the button under the wheel), you can open the driver's door, front passenger door, or hatch by simply pulling on the door handle while you have the fob in your pocket (or purse, or hand...). The default behavior is for all of the doors to unlock when opening the passenger door or hatch, while only the driver's door unlocks when you pull on its handle. You can change this behavior by programming the fob buttons.

Also, as noted above, you don't have to insert the fob to start the Prius. Mine always stays in my pocket. The slot in the dash is for the rare occasion when the fob battery dies, or you have the SKS turned off. With a fob battery failure, use the small mechanical key that is built into the fob to open the driver's door, then insert the fob in the slot before starting.

One last thing, when unlocking with the SKS, don't press the little black buttons on the outside of the doors. Those buttons are for locking. If you press one while unlocking, the Prius will beep at you and make a fuss. To lock, simply press any of the three black buttons on the outside (driver's door, front passenger door, or hatch). As a side benefit, locking this way assures that a door is not left ajar, which will quickly drain the small 12V battery. I always lock my Prius just to check the doors.

Hope this helps,
    Tom

6. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for all the detailed reply. I reread my original post and found that my first question was not at all clear. May I try again? What I actually tried to asked was:

If I want to disable the SKS before a 1-month vacation, I understadn that I could push the "key" button underneath the steering wheel column. The question I have is, do I need to insert my fob to the slot when I push this "key" button? My dealer first told me I could keep the fob in my pocket, this did disable my SKS. The dealer later said I absolutely have to insert the fob on the right side of the steering wheel. This did work. I'm curious whether this is what it should be.

Still confused but feel much better to know there are so much of you out there for support! Thanks again.

:unsure:

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 29 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]503814[/snapback]</div>
    So, first I'll answer your question and then expand a bit on it.

The button under the steering wheel is just a simple toggle switch; in one state, the SKS is on, and in the other state the SKS is off. You do not need to put the key in the slot to enable/disable the SKS.

Now, to just go a little further, I'll point out that disabling the SKS just affects what you can do while keeping your fob in your pocket. With the SKS off, you can still push the button on the fob to unlock the car and you can still put the fob in the slot and push the power button to start the car. With the SKS on, you get the added functionality of being able to open the doors by touching the inside of the door handle and starting the car with just pushing the power button.

8. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much Betelgeuse. I actually need to have some caffeine and polish my posting skills. There is a typo from my second trial, I forgot to type "NOT" in the following sentence: "My dealer first told me I could keep the fob in my pocket, this did disable my SKS." It should be "this did not disable my SKS". Oh well, if there is still anyone willing to hear :( me, here is my third trial.

Trial #3:

According to my dealer's instruction, I put the fob in my pocket and did not insert it into the slot. I pushed the key button (below the column) up or down, and the red SKS icon was always flashing regardless of the state of the key button. I assumed the SKS was still on (because of the constantly flashing red icon), and therefore I thought the button was defective because I could not disable my SKS.

Then my dealer changed his mind and said I HAVE TO insert my key to the slot when I disable the SKS and this sure killed the red flashing icon. This sounds different from what Betelgeus said. So I guess the button is malfunctional? Or simply I can not judge whether my SKS is on or not by the flashing red SKS icon on the dashboard?

Hope I'll get better soon in terms of posting (at least triple check before I send). Thanks!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 28 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]503514[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not going out to the car tonight. What is the procedure as stated in the manual?

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 29 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]503972[/snapback]</div>
    Here's a way to test what state your SKS is in:

Go and sit in your car with the fob in your pocket. Step on the brake firmly and press the "Start" button. Does the car start up? If so, your SKS is ON. If not, your SKS is OFF.

If the car is on, push the "Power" button again to turn it off.

Next, push the "Key" button under the steering wheel. Still keeping your fob in your pocket, repeat the previous step: Step on the brake firmly and press the "Start" button. Has the car now changed state (i.e. if the SKS was ON before, is it OFF now? if it was OFF before, is it ON now?) If the car changes state, you now know that the "Key" button is working and you can set your SKS to either on or off. If it doesn't change the state, then you might have a problem.

P.S. This is basically exactly what Tony suggested, with the exception of toggling the car's power instead of the door locks.

11. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi JimN,
    The manual just says push the "key" button below the column. I don't remember it mentioning whether the fob needs to be inserted to disable the SKS, nor does it tell you whether the flashing icon on the dashboard should disappear after being disable. If this is not clear, please see post #8 for a better version of my question.

And hi Betelgeuse, thanks to your reply. I'll check later. Just curious, for your prius, could you turn off your SKS with the fob in your pocket (not inserted into the slot) and does this kill the flashing icon on the dashboard? Now I know if I were to turn the clock back and post this question again I should type "Is fob insertion needed to disable the SKS?"

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 30 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]504493[/snapback]</div>
    I'll check tonight. I know that putting the fob in the dash turns of the flashing light regardless of whether the SKS system is on or off.

As far as your second question, the answer is an unequivocal "no." I've disabled the SKS many times without the fob in the slot. Just to make sure we're clear :)

13. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 30 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]504509[/snapback]</div>
    If this is the case, then the question would be: Should the flashing light be blinking all the time regardless of the SKS state? The concern is that the blinking draws electrical current and, thus, shortens the life of the 12V battery.

14. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 30 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]504546[/snapback]</div>
    I've been hoping an "expert" would chime in here, so I wouldn't be so tempted to stick my nose in where I'm not a bit more certain of the answer.

I haven't had a chance to check the Owners Manual yet to make sure, but I was pretty sure that the flashing indicator you see on the dash is not an indicator of SKS at all. It is an indicator that the Engine Immobilizer is enabled.

Check your Owners Manual for references to Engine Immobilizer and you should find information as to what it means when the light is flashing or not flashing and how to change its state. There are a few power draws that are going to occur while the car is off. I doubt that this little led draws much power at all. It wouldn't surprise me if the little 12V battery in the Prius had enough power in it to flash that led for 6 months.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    GG,
    I'm pretty sure that you no longer need your dealer. Just post any further questions here! :D

The flashing light is a security thing. It will always flash.
    You are correct to disable the SKS for the month. This is because the car actively seeks the fob when the SKS is on. Some people have returned home to find a dead 12v battery because the car seeked itself to death. Or is it "sought"? Doesn't matter much when you're attempting to jump-start your Prius.

16. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ehh????? Have I been way off all the time? The red flashing icon on the dash board, looks like a "key-in-a-car", has nothing to do with the SKS? And it's something to do with the Engine Immobilizer? Thanks Danny, I'll need to check more carefully what is an Engine Immobilizer, probably not from my dealer. He sort of gave me this idea that this light is associated to the SKS.

And, thanks TonyPSchaefer, I'll ask this board from now on if I have further questions.

17. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 31 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]504976[/snapback]</div>
    I double checked my Owners Manual this weekend, and yes, that is an indicator that the engine immobilizer is active. That indicator should exist even in Prii that don't have SKS. It should turn off either when you start the car with SKS or when you put the key in the slot if you have a model without SKS.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GG7 @ Aug 31 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]504976[/snapback]</div>
    I've learned to double check everything the sales person at the dealership told me. For example, I've learned that the "B" mode is not for charging the battery, and I've learned that I don't have to press the "Load" button before each CD if I want to load multiple CD's into the CD changer (nor do I have to press the "Eject" button multiple times to remove them all).

Definitely a good idea.

18. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Sep 4 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]506850[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks alot Danny for clarifying the flashing red light. If I had known this from the beginning, I would not have posted my questions and resulted in all the subsequent confusion. Also thanks all the reply!