1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New HERE Looking to buy a prius need info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ecsoldier220, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ecsoldier220

ecsoldier220 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK so i am new here i am looking to buy my frist prius after i sell my 2002 subaru wrx and i just wanna get more info about it such as which prius between 2004 to 2009 is the best what are pros and cons what should i look for when buying one etc.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OK, 2004 to 2009 are all gen 2 Prius, same basic body and engine/powertrain. 2004 and 2005 had some recalls, all that should be taken care of by now.

In 2006 the electronics were upgraded in the cabin, noting major.

:welcome:to PriusChat!

3. ecsoldier220

ecsoldier220 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol haha wow thanks

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If that is your range the "best one" would be the newest. 2009. With low mileage. There isn't much difference otherwise except the colours available and the packaging of options. There are two "models", the Touring and the one that isn't a Touring. The Touring had 16" wheels and a bigger spoiler. It also had slightly stiffer suspension and fuller option packages. Most people wouldn't notice the difference from the suspension.

imOCD4a_prius likes this.
  5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The touring also drops the mileage by 1 or 2 mpg I believe. I would generally recommend 2006 or later, but really any will do. Some people reported problems with 2004 to early 2006 (? more or less) with traction control kicking in too early in icy/slippery conditions, leaving the vehicle stopped in certain situations it should be able to drive out of. I don't have that problem in my 2006, so YMMV.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was another thread recently that linked to the top 10 cars for resale value, and the 2008 Prius was listed as #1, selling for almost the same as the original sale price. High gas prices and damage to the Prius supply factories in Japan for new vehicles probably helped push that up a bit.

7. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 added a few bells and whistles, it was also the first year you could get leather from the factory if you wanted it. Before that leather was a dealer installed non-OEM option or something people did after they bought the car. 2006 was also the begining of being able to get Toyota remote start if you like that feature. Different dash plastic in 2006 and on. Couple other small things, can't remember now.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Other significant changes starting on the 06: ability to get an aux input jack, backup camera and a higher res MFD, if you had the backup camera. The higher res MFD's graphics are improved.

These threads might help:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/dealers-pricing/88518-18-000-please-help-me.html#post1241833
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ed-prius-need-help-what-look.html#post1215778
    http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/88979-used-prius-buyer-best-model-year.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...g-buy-have-12000-14000-spend.html#post1283859
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...al-equipment-some-countries-2.html#post612688

Since the OP lives in NY, it's best to get one that was purchased and registered in a CARB emission state (e.g. NY and NJ) in order to get the 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty and 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty. Ask to see the warranty booklet and make sure it included the state in question in the California emissions warranty terms.

Non-CARB vehicles have only an 8 year/100K mile HV battery warranty.

9. ecsoldier220

ecsoldier220 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    k thanks um for tune up spark plug air filter anything else i should do cause if i am nt mistaken prius dont have fuel filter and pcv value . and this being my frist hybrid car nt sure if there other stuff i should do

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am sure the Prius has a PVC valve, and would be amazed if it did not have a fuel filter.

11. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, me too. Due to the software change, there was some mechanism to redirect old links but that's been broken since yesterday. Sorry. It'll take me a whole bunch of work to try to find the new URLs.

I suggest you wait until it's fixed. :( I reported these problems last night at Welcome to the new PriusChat! Post your questions, bugs, suggestions here | Page 18 | PriusChat.

One possibility is to copy and paste those URLs into Bing and clicking on the green down arrow, then viewing Bing's cached copy. You could try viewing Google's cached copies, but I suspect they've gotten aged out already. I tried one of those on Bing and it sorta worked...

edit: Another is trying to figure out the post title from the URL and Googling for it. Example, Google for site: priuschat.com please help me 18000 (remove the space between the : and p). Some of the posts I linked to were by me.

13. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cwerdna, Thanks for the quick reply--- I've been reading this great site's info since 5:30AM (today is Sat right?)

So I'm about to logoff yet have not found some real answers to THIS newbie's ?'s

***** I am in this boat:
    amount $15k to invest leaving me w a little something in reserve (Financing from a relative not bank).
    Please keep me in mind when u get some good URLs so I can read them.
    I've been considering both 05's AND ESPECIALLY 2008's---w 60k miles.
    I'd appreciate the help as well. THANK YOU ALL, Regards, D

Forgive me for posting that HERE in your space. I just really need credible info.
    U C, I HAVE driven a rented P for a total of 6 weeks when we could afford to. An '08; '09; '10--I seemed to get outstanding MPGs w the'08. I'm now getting a price (out the door) for an '08 of 17,500. Any thoughts ?
    ANYONE..Please...thanks-in adv

14. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cwerdna, Thanks for the quick reply--- I've been reading this great site's info since 5:30AM (today is Sat right?)

So I'm about to logoff yet have not found some real answers to THIS newbie's ?'s

***** I am in this boat:
    amount $15k to invest leaving me w a little something in reserve (Financing from a relative not bank).
    Please keep me in mind when u get some good URLs so I can read them.
    I've been considering both 05's AND ESPECIALLY 2008's---w 60k miles.
    I'd appreciate the help as well. THANK YOU ALL, Regards, D

Forgive me for posting that HERE in your space. I just really need credible info.
    U C, I HAVE driven a rented P for a total of 6 weeks when we could afford to. An '08; '09; '10--I seemed to get outstanding MPGs w the'08. I'm now getting a price (out the door) for an '08 of 17,500. Any thoughts ?
    ANYONE..Please...thanks-in advance. DJ

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you haven't noticed, Danny fixed the redirector problems after being alerted on the Priuschat Facebook page. They unfortunately likely won't lead to the right page nor post. I wish that could be fixed. Danny's aware of this current limitation.

If you were to to choose between the 05 and 08, I'd go w/the 08. The 08 would have more of its warranty left. The HV (big battery) has a 8 year/100K mile warranty in most states but 10 years/150K miles in CA and CARB states. I believe NY and NJ are included but more states were added over the years. Thus the 05 might not be eligible while the 08 might be. Check the warranty booklet for details on the states and make sure that the car was bought, registered and operated in eligible states.

imOCD4a_prius likes this.
  16. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five

THANK YOU .....

17. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, I'm back from an ill-fated, illness inclusive, so-called vacation-now i must fulfil my destiny & get a Gen II pre-owned PRIUS...please help me & be patient. I paid a LOT for gas from Maine to Fl in a loaded Van-the van was I wasn't (darn). Anyway, I've been doing lots of HOMEWORK from your pages when my laptop got HD issues. So I'm asking all:
    1)Is it better to PAY CASH or finance & pay it off in a month (as i read 5 min ago) yet, i remember reading someone noted bringing a cashers check in hand for like $14-15k could move a saleman to "make that deal .
    WHAT's your input my friends ???????

2) Can u later add a 16" set of wheels to a Gen II that was 15" OEM ? will 16" wheels add more miledge or just make an affect on stability ???

3)How do i use those prices on = Toyota Prius - Real Prices Paid, Recent & Actual Sold Values & Worth | PriceHub.com to MY ADVANTAGE in sales negotiations ?????

4)Is there a "gentlemanly" way to play "hard ball" w/ the sales rep who will throw me to the sales mg. when i don;t close right away ??

I really NEED this car, yet, I must not show that. Right ? maybe I should take a zanex after the test ride ??

More to come allow me to post these....thanks ahead of time and oh yes, I'm really looking hard at a '2008 w/ 57k miles and 1 owner C-fax and good maintenance. what about a BASE '06 w/ only 49k ??
    I'd sure rather have a reliabl;e "P" that plays MP3's--no that's not the whole reason. lol
    Thanks in advance--tomorrow, I meet the saleman for 2 test-rides.....I can't wait. I know how they travel--I need to make sure i don;t get ripped.
    oh yes--what kid of after-market warrante should I buy/not buy ??? I won;t "walmart" (GO CHEEP) the warrante--yet I can't spend over a grand.
    Later all...DJ