1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"new HID bulbs are permanent fix"-Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by withoutapaddle, Oct 27, 2009.

1. withoutapaddle

withoutapaddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just spoke with Toyota customer service in SoCal, regarding the HID bulbs in our 2006 Prius. They assured me the bulb that was put in last week to replace the burned out HID bulb, would not go out, and if the passenger side bulb goes out, which was replaced and paid for by Toyota, 18 months ago, will be replaced for free.

Has anyone heard the dealers now have a bulb to replace the HID bulbs that is a permanent fix? The person at Toyota said the original HID bulbs created "communication problems with the cars computer, this new one is a permanent fix and will not need to be replaced anytime soon".

2. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I can't contribute to the topic at hand when I purchased my '06 Prius yesterday I asked the business manager if bulbs were ever covered under any warranty (manufacturers or extended, and I stressed due to premature failure) and he flat out told me "No." :eek:

You have a maintenance plan by chance?

3. withoutapaddle

withoutapaddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    --------

No, this part isn't covered by warranty. I spoke to Toyota customer service in Southern CA today. I asked, and was very specific, if these bulbs were expected to last as long as the original HID bulbs. The person I spoke with did not mince words, she assured me these were different bulbs and would not need replacing any time soon. Was she

1. telling the truth?
    2. giving me BS knowing these may not be any better?
    3. hoping these bulbs will last as long as they say, not knowing if they will?
    4. certain these are reliable bulbs?

I don't know............Toyota is going to pay for the replacement of this next bulb, on the passenger side,,,,,,the drivers side was replaced last week, $300, I paid for it.

Did you buy your 06 ....yesterday?...Not sure what you're saying....

However if you purchased the car new, and if your bulbs burn out anytime soon, I would contact Robin @Toyota, that's who I spoke with, 800-331-4331.