1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New hybrid adds luxury to fuel efficiency

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jkash, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New hybrid adds luxury to fuel efficiency

Hybrids are going the luxury route. Starting Dec. 3, when the hybrid-electric Honda Accord goes on sale in the United States, even drivers with high-end tastes can step on the gas and not feel too guilty.

For about $30,000 they'll be able to buy an Accord that gets a third better gas mileage than the standard V6 model. Next April, Lexus will introduce an even more upscale hybrid SUV.

The new Accord poses a challenge to America's hybrid buyers: Will they stick with the popular Toyota Prius, which limits emissions and boosts mileage as much as possible, or will they give up some efficiency and opt for the more luxurious Accord?

Like most hybrids, Honda's Integrated Motor Assist system shuts off the Accord's gasoline engine at stoplights. It restarts once the brake pedal is released. Honda also introduces "variable cylinder management" technology, which shuts off half the engine's cylinders when they're not needed. That saves fuel on the highway, where cars need little power most of the time to maintain speed.

It all adds up to 30 miles per gallon around town and 37 on the highway - this from a comfortable mid-size sedan - compared with EPA ratings of 21 city and 30 highway for the standard V6 model.

Read entire article by clicking this link.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's $36,995 here in Canada. In comparison, a fully loaded Camry XLE V6 costs $36,735. A fully loaded Prius with nav costs $37,745. An Accord EX-V6 costs $33,600. I don't know if the $4,000 premium (assume the power moonroof costs $1,000) is worth it. I know, I know the same goes for the Prius. But at least with the Prius, emissions are reduced significantly with the various equipment that Toyota installed into the Prius. With the Accord Hybrid, you're buying bragging rights to 255hp rather than rights to reduced emissions. There's also nothing special to the Accord Hybrid to lure a buyer into getting that over a Maxima for example.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    These numbers just prove that the engine continues running all the time. Sure they're increasing the MPG but this car will never qualify as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV).

I'm torn.
    The Prius shuts off its engine and reduces the overall amount of particulate contaminants emitted into the atmosphere while improving MPG and eleviating the overall demand for gasoline.
    The Honda type of hybrid never shuts off its engine but still increases the MPG which eleviates the overall demand on gasoline.
    So yea for the lowered demand for gas but boo for the never-shutting-off engine.

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how is an accord more luxurious? prius has more legroom and cloth is better than leather. leather = cold in winter, hot in summer, cracks when old, ugly and also STINKY. doors dont automatically unlock either

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak\";p=\"54078)</div>
    I think I can comment on that, as I have a 2004 prius and my wife has a 2004 accord EX (4 cyl.) w/ leather. I won't get into the leather v. non-leather topic as that is a matter of personal preference; but it's probably fair to say that leather uph. is generally considered a luxury feature. Anyway, one can add leather to a Prius for $1000-1200, and heated front seats for a few hundred more.

Both of us definitely feel that we are driving a more luxurious car when in the Accord. It's just more solid, quieter, with tighter handling. It holds the road better. This is even more subjective, but to me the interior is more elegant than that of the Prius.

But her average MPG for 2004 is 26, and mine is 47!

rob

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the quality of the leather. I love our 2002 Camry's leather. It doesn't stick to you like synthetic leather and yes, it's cold but that's what seat heaters are for :D

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    personally I would never get leather because it is harmful to the environment. And one thing that really bugs me is the leather wrapped steering wheel. Those are SOOOOOOOOO cold in winter!!!

8. jimwelmhurst

jimwelmhurst Junior Member

I agree the Accord hybrid is more luxurious - 'nicer' than the Prius. (OK, I've only driven a non-hybrid '05 EX - but 'nice'-wise they're the same.) And yes, it's personal preference, but I consider the leather a minus - which is part of why I'm picking up my Prius in a couple of days.

Honda's approach of spending the hybrid benefits to provide both better performance AND better mileage (than the stock V6) sounds great to me. Toyota spent it all toward best economy. That's great - but the other approach happens to fit me a little better. And I suspect it will fit enough others to make a good contribution to getting hybrids into the mainstream - which we all want.

But for me, Honda blew it with the leather-only offering. They also blew it by not offering any delightful bright colors (my Prius is Salsa). (They finally offered a really nice blue in the Civic Hybrid just this year.) And they had to give up fold-down rear seats because the battery was too big / in the way. C'mon - just fix it.

Prius wins on technology, too. I'm sold that its 'full' hybrid system is better. (But the Accord engine does in fact shut down at idle.) I'm also really looking forward to the Smart Entry - that's really cool.

So I bought a Prius, which I'm sure I'll be very happy with. But in a couple of years, when Honda gets its act together and offers interiors and exteriors I like, I'll trade the Prius for an Accord. And I'll get a really 'nice' car, with great performance. Sure, I'll miss the Prius's mileage (and Smart Entry!). (But I won't miss my wife's complaints about the, um, "futuristic" Prius styling.)

Different strokes for different folks.

Peace!

Jim