1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Hybrid Electric Water Pump (C0U) = quiet shut down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bobodaclown, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All I can say is WOW. Monday brought the 2009 Prius (64500 miles) in for the recalls. When I used to shut down the car I would hear the pump moving the fluid into the bottle. Sounded like an electric motor with a bit of rattle. This new pump is quiet.

Any one else notice this? Was my old pump on the way out?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That pump is a normal sound and sometimes your engine and the bottle is at a temperature where it doesn't need to move fluid into it so it won't make any sound. But if the pump is always silent and never makes noise anymore you need to take it back to the dealer because they somehow broke it while performing the recall work.

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wait... the most recent recall is on the inverter pump - not the Coolant thermos pump, which is the one that runs after you shut the car off/start it up.

Replacing the inverter coolant pump shouldnt make any difference in your coolant storage pump sound. 2 different pumps, ones being recalled ones not.

uart likes this.
  4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Justhad the pump recall done. New pump does seem quieter.:)

DBCassidy

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, the inverter coolant pump should run all the time when the prius is ready, but shut off as soon as the prius is turned off.

I haven't had the current recall done yet, but a year or so ago I had the previous (2004/2005 model) inverter coolant pump recall done and the new one was noisier than the one it replaced. :(

planetaire likes this.
  6. scott.in.colorado

scott.in.colorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So if Priuscamper is correct and the pump is not working, what is the result of the pump not working? Something overheats? Some engine error code? Both my pumps just replaced last week, the recall and the other under extended warranty. I can't say I've ever heard any pump noise after the engine stops. Well, maybe 10 seconds of a noise, never sure what it was.

What's the result if the pump is not working?

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You would know - your dash would light up like a christmas tree if it wasnt working as commanded.

And the 10 seconds of a noise is the CHRS pump. The inverter pump and the ICE water pump do not run after you shut off the car.

8. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the correction.

9. scott.in.colorado

scott.in.colorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, even if no pump noise is heard, all is ok if the dash does not light up. Correct.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  10. Cheffaz

Cheffaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my engine while running seem to be making more noise why i dont know i had all 3 recalls done at once,could be the cold weather? more air in the tires had the oil changed and tires rotated not at the dealer. Could it be my mind playing tricks on me? maybe I never noticed the noise now I do notice the engining running when I accel when I press the gas pedal and moving at higher speeds 60 plus miles per hour. any help would be great.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi cheffaz. Since this is obviously engine noise that you're hearing, it won't be related to replaced the HV coolant pump.

When the steering shaft is done however, they have to remove a small shaft cover piece in the drivers foot well. This cover has sound deadening material and is designed to isolate sounds from the engine bay (stop sound entering the cabin via the steering column passage). Perhaps they didn't get this cover re-seated properly, that would definitely account for the increased noise.

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. Cheffaz

Cheffaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five

thanks for the info

Will water leak into the cabin?

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably not, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

It's easy to take a quick look and see if this piece is securely in place. It's just down where your feet go in the "drivers well", where the steering shaft goes through. It's held in place by two plastic screw fasteners that I was able to undo (and later re-tighten) with my fingers.

14. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  15. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No pump recall done on mine yet (its on my long to-do list), but now that I've read this thread I swear I haven't heard the thermos pump post-shutdown lately. I'll have to check that out.