1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New IIHS Report.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DocVijay, Apr 19, 2007.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, the IIHS just released a new report on relative fatalities for vehicle models. They are ranked by number of deaths per 1 million vehicles registered (from 2001-2004). Since it only goes up to 2004, certain safe cars, like the Volvo XC90 are not on it.

The top 15 safest vehicles are (less than 20):
    Chevrolet Astro
    Infiniti G35
    BMW 7 series
    Toyota 4Runner 4WD
    Audi A4/S4 Quattro
    Mercedes E class
    Toyota Highlander 4WD
    Mercedes M class 4WD
    Toyota Sienna
    Honda Odyssey
    Lexus ES 330
    Lexus RX 330
    Toyota Sequoia 2WD
    Honda Pilot 4WD
    BMW X5 4WD

So there are 7 SUV's, 3 minivans, 5 luxury cars, and only one car small enough to not be considered large...

Size does matter, and so does price. Of course if you go to the extreme, the Ford Excursion, the number gets much higher (up to 115)

Of all agencies, the IIHS is most credible to me when it comes to this stuff. Whenever we buy a car, I always check the IIHS crash results.

The worst 15 vehicles (all over 140):
    Chevrolet Blazer 2dr 2WD
    Acura RSX
    Nissan 350Z
    Kia Spectra hatchback
    Pontiac Sunfire
    Kia Rio 4dr
    Chevrolet Cavalier
    Mitsubishi Eclipse
    Dodge Neon
    Pontiac Grand Am
    Chevrolet Cavalier
    Ford Mustang
    Ford Ranger 4WD
    Mazda B series 2WD
    Mitsubishi Eclipse
    Mitsubishi Montero Sport

All of these are smaller cars or sports cars except the 2 SUV's. Sports cars are highly represented because while they usually have higher limits, the accidents occur when those limits are being pushed, and so the crashes are much worse. The Blazer and RSX are both over 200, or more than 10 times the fatalities per million vehicles registered then the top 15. I don't like those odds.

So what does that mean? Basically that SUV's are safer than other cars. You are more likely to survive if you are driving an SUV or a Luxury car.

Graph of death rates:
    [​IMG]

Here's the link:

http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4204.pdf

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Prius owners are still pretty safe though. Check it out on the same website.

3. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

An important thing to remember is that a huge factor in this is the driver, and that is baised on the vehicle ALOT. Notice that you see very no Buicks, Cadillacs, or Lincolns on that list, lol.

You can use GM vehicles (thanks to excessive badge engineering) to prove how different drivers are attracted to different vehicles. If this study were based purely on the vehicle, then the Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, and Saturn SL1 should have all been the same. Yet, the Sunfire (im thinking teenagers) is high on the bad list, the Cavalier is up there too but not as high, and the Saturn (im guessing quasi-yuppies?) didnt even make the list.

The Chevy blazer is the WORST, yet the Olds and GMC versions arent even on the list. Why? Well, I see a bunch more 17 year olds riding around with 22" Dubs in the Chevy.

And even a vehicle seeming sporty when its not can make a difference, hence the Pontiac Grand Am being on the bad list while its clone, the Malibu, isnt there.

The Chevy Astro is number one, yet the GMC version isnt even on the list?

While interesting, I consider this article pretty much bogus when it comes to true saftey of the vehicle. Although, it pretty much does show that the bigger the car, the safer. However, there are some big exceptions - not one full-sized truck is on the top list.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 23 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]428822[/snapback]</div>
    I would have to agree there.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err.. anyone suspicious of the RSX and 350Z? They're mostly young drivers cars (for those who have rich parents to pay for them). The rest are economy cars that are usually driven by college students. All of which add up to higher death rates (more crashes and possibly higher speeds).

One surprise is the G35.

Also.. you have the Highlander 4x4.. what about the 2WD version? or the Sequoia 2WD, what about the 4WD. Is the report saying the other version is more unsafe than the one listed or is it because they sell less of those?

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (haven't had a chance to read the whole PDF yet)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 24 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]429608[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not THAT suspicious... I hope this doesn't mean my rates on my Z are going up. :( Yes, the Z and RSX tend to be driven by young people and will definitely have a greater chance of being driven less conservatively than say a minivan. I concur about your bit regarding economy cars would add high school students in there as well.

To top it off, the RSX and Z don't sell in really large numbers either... so the above combined w/small numbers can make for bad stats. Last year in the US, ~24K 350Zs and ~17K RSXs were sold vs. 163K Siennas and 448K Camrys. The latter two are A LOT more likely to be driven conservatively.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/03/032862.html
    http://www.automotive.com/features/90/auto...5411/index.html
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/03/032851.html

I don't frequent my350z.com as much anymore, but I've seen numerous times where there are young male, never driven a powerful RWD sports cars before, inexperienced (under age 20) drivers who are overconfident, think they handle the car, blah blah... and they get into a wreck. I see threads like this http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php...ght=no+sympathy periodically. Here's a recent one... this guy http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php...ght=no+sympathy, shortly after getting his car is street racing in a RESIDENTIAL area and look at the result... http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php...ght=kicked+curb. Great... :(

In general, some people on places like my350z.com (until they banned it) would talk about their street racing kills (wins). You never see anyone here on Priuschat talking about their street racing outcomes. (That part isn't surprising since the Prius IS slow and would be beaten by almost car passenger cars out there.)

The G35 rate is VERY surprising since it's based on the same (FM) platform as the Z. Perhaps the sedan, higher price and older crowd mixed w/females makes it more likely to be driven conservatively.