1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New iPhone App makes car kits moot?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GeekEV, Jun 18, 2009.

1. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this isn't Prius related, which is why I posted it in FHOP, but I thought you guys may be interested. I know several of you use iPhone's and iPod touches in your car, so this may be of interest to you.

I've written an app which finally makes them safe to use in your car without needing to plunk down the heavy cash for a car stereo integration kit! This app gives you easy visibility to what's playing, so there's no need to show it on the factory radio screen. It also lets you use "eyes-free" flicks to navigate your songs, which is every bit as safe as using the factory radio controls. Viola, no car kit needed!

My App Store listing is below. Please, check it out and let me know what you think. More info is available on my website.

###

FlickTunes lets you keep your eyes on the road & control your music by touch! It provides you with a bold, clean, yet uncluttered, interface combined with intuitive touch and gesture-based controls. FlickTunes is simply the safest and most effective way to control your music on the go. You won't ever need to take your eyes off the road again.

Perfect for use in the car, on the treadmill, at the gym or while jogging. Use it anywhere you can't afford to spend time futzing with your music player!

Please visit FlickTunes in the iTunes App Store for a full list of features.

###

P.S. If you want my DICE iPod kit, please PM me -- I don't need it anymore. :)

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps I'm a tad bit confused. What's the app do? How do I interface with it? And what's a vomiting llama have to do with it? Is it like WinAmp which we all know whips the llama's nice person.

3. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry that wasn't clear. I've edited my post to try and make it more clear what it's "for". They key phrase in my "press release" is:

The native music player on the iPhone and iPod touch uses super tiny fonts, and has "virtual" buttons that you can't hit by touch, making it very difficult to use in the car. My app allows you to just reach over and "flick" to the next song, without needing to look. And when you do look to see what's playing, the song info is nice and big so you can just glance at it quickly. Hopefully someone who has used the iPod app on an iPhone or iPod touch, would recognize that it *doesn't* operate that way and would see what an improvement this is for "eyes-free" use. I wrote it because I found a need for it and it's proven vastly superior for in-car use to me and my friends! Hopefully other people will like it too.

Is my post more clear now? I'm open for suggestions on re-writes! :redface:

As for the llama, that's a fictional album cover since I didn't want to use anyone's copyrighted material in my screenshots. The particulars of the fictional song are a bit of an inside joke. lol

P.S. Just curious, do you have an iPhone or touch? :)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All these are interesting sounding to me...just need to get my iPhone 3G S--got shipping info today!

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn you, Evan! :) Still no shipping info for me yet. I'm obsessively checking my email and the AT&T order status page to the point where I'm getting almost no work done today.

6. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I probably shouldn't mention that I got my shipping info days ago and am confirmed for delivery tomorrow? :D

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Interesting, is this a freeware?

8. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but I went the cheapest possible -- $0.99...

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Work is overrated.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. No you shouldn't mention that. Thankfully, I got my shipping information this evening which confirms that I'll be getting the iPhone tomorrow. Otherwise, I might have to come through the internet and strangle you. :)

Damn straight. Plus, I had a very productive first half of the week, so I can afford to slack off a little.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have an iPhone 3g.
    Does your app only work for streaming blue tooth as in iPhone 3Gs and 2010 Prius? In that case, I have neither.

I can understand not wanting to encroach on copyrighted material but I just think the fictional album cover might scare away some potential customers. My opinion would be to take a nuetral picture and make up some band and a nuetral album name. If the app works with headphones I'll do some graphics for you for the low low price of 99 cents. :)

12. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The app works with any audio output the phone supports, just like the built-in iPod app does. The means headphone jack, dock connector line-out, built-in speaker and (where supported) the A2DP bluetooth streaming.

FYI, it's unrelated to my app, but the existing iPhones (2G and 3G) will also support A2DP once you install OS 3.0 software. My brother reports his 3G is now working with his aftermarket deck. I'm still stuck with my '06 Prius. :( LOL

13. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's here, it's here! OK, it's been here for about an hour now, I'm syncing and restoring. :)

14. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Downloaded the app today. The concept is a good one--it definitely addresses the issues I faced trying to select music, etc. while driving without having to lay out for the integration kit (although I would like that eventually).

I like the feature that keeps the display on--I'm curious to see how this affects battery life (since I don't use a charger in the car).

A few thoughts for the next version:

- Add support for the new 3.0 software "30 second replay" feature (perhaps a multi-touch or counter-clockwise circular touch motion?). This is good for audiobooks.

- When auto-lock is disabled, provide the option for a preset backlight brightness different than the one used by the OS--this would allow dimming to help save battery without having to change the brightness setting in the OS "Settings". It could also provide a brighter setting if desired.

- The app seems to exit unexpectedly sometimes when changing songs. Perhaps you're already addressing this, or maybe it's related to the 3.0 software?

Nice job!
    - Doug

15. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your excellent feedback, Doug, I appreciate it. I may not monitor this thread forever, so if you have any more in the future, feel free to email them to [email protected] ... Oh, hey, any chance I could convince you to leave a review in iTunes? It's a new app, so the more reviews the better!

Yeah, it probably will eat up the battery a fair amount. Of course, you can turn it off, but then it locks and you can't control it so what's the point. LOL. A car charger is cheap though ($10 or less if you get one of those car-to-usb things and use the normal dock cable). :)

Good idea. I don't ever listen to audiobooks, so this never occurred to me. I will look into this for the next feature update.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this is technically possible. As far as I know, Apple has not seen fit to bless us developers with screen brightness controls. But I will investigate and try to make it happen.

Yep. Sorry about that! :redface: I had it working nice in all the 3.0 betas and then for some reason it started doing that in the final release. It also does some really weird "multi-flips" on the iPhone 3GS. I've got these and a few other minor issues fixed in v1.0.1 which was uploaded to Apple last night. As soon as they approve it and post it, you'll be good to go. If you find any other "quirks", send 'em my way.

Thanks again!

16. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is getting sad. I uploaded my bug fix update a week ago and it still hasn't been published by Apple. :( I hope the crashes aren't causing you too much trouble. Please hang in there!

17. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes. Now it's been two weeks and they still haven't posted my update. I can't wait until I post up 1.1, sheesh. FYI, the following new features are coming soon (maybe?) in 1.1:

• New option to use taps to play/pause instead of swipes.
    • Skip forward and backward 30 seconds with a two finger flick (intended for podcast and audiobook listeners).
    • Two finger vertical swipes to control volume (when not using the dock connector line out).

18. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apple's still dragging their feet with my update. But I do have some new fictional album are for ya, Tony. How's this?

Attached Files:

19. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news, everyone!

I would like to inform you that Apple has just posted FlickTunes v1.1 (after nearly two months of waiting) which brings a number of new features to the table, making it even more useful:

* TWO FINGER FLICK LEFT: Skip forward 30 seconds.
    * TWO FINGER FLICK RIGHT: Skip back 30 seconds.
    * TWO FINGER SWIPE UP: Increase volume.
    * TWO FINGER SWIPE DOWN: Decrease volume.
    * TAP CONTROL SETTING: Allow taps for play/pause.
    * SWIPE CONTROL SETTING: Allow swipes for play/pause.
    * TWO-FINGER SETTING: Allow two finger controls.

Additionally, v1.2 is complete and now in the review queue, promising these additional features users have been asking for:

* ALLOW LANDSCAPE SETTING: Allow or prevent landscape mode.
    * MORE AUTO-LOCK SETTINGS: Allow or prevent auto-lock while playing or paused separately.
    * NEW WORKING SCREEN: Now shows a "working" screen while building the initial random shuffle playlist.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Mr Zorg,
    Your flicktunes is on the front page of the iTunes App Store as a "Staff Favorite"!! Congrats!
    I've really come to enjoy using the app myself and the recent updates were nice as well.