1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New iPod nano and a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Austehn, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Austehn

Austehn New Member

New member here, and I've been pouring over old posts regarding how to hook up an iPod to one's Prius, but I haven't found one that pertains to my situation (though I'm sure it's here somewhere, so my apologies in advance). I have a 2005 Prius with no frills. Just the standard speakers, no cassette player, single CD slot, no GPS, etc. I just received an iPod nano for Christmas, and I wanted to be able to play it in the car.

I know that there are commercial options out there that can modify the stereo system, but I remember a while ago (I've had an iPod before, that died on me), there was a website that showed you how to install an AUX cable to the stereo yourself (which involved taking apart the dashboard and everything). Super cheap and seemingly doable, but I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone done this? Is it safe? Works? If so, how do I go about doing it for myself??

Thanks for your help!

Austin

2. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Austehn @ Dec 29 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]368347[/snapback]</div>
    I think coastaletech sells something that will work for you. It is not cheap, but it looks like is just what you are looking for. Here is the web address: http://www.coastaletech.com/ULTIMATE%20IPOD.htm

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another option, less than optimal, is an FM transmitter. Belkin makes a gizmo that plugs into the 12V outlet that charges your Nano and transmits the audio as an FM signal that you pick up on your radio. Static can creep in, and the fi is not but it may work.

Check out TuneBaseā„¢ FM for iPod and see if that's what you want.

Oh, and Welcome to PriusChat! :)

4. Austehn

Austehn New Member

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to put some money down on actual hardware. Hey, if it'll get it to work, it'll be worth it to me. =)

Thanks again!

Austin

5. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Dec 29 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]368503[/snapback]</div>
    I strongly recommend finding a wired FM transmitter. I used an iTrip for quite a while, and was satisfied with the product, but after a while, the constant static and complete loss of signal while in other cities etc. just got to be too much. A wired transmitter that feeds its signal directly into the radio's antenna provides much better sound and less interference.

Here's an example:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A3wsQotXfdn/c...mp;i=142FMMOD01
    I'm not endorsing Crutchfield or this item. Just an example.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is also the AUXBOX which plugs into the back of the headunit and it takes up the cd-changer outlet. This should be better than the wired FM transmitter since you are still just getting FM quality sound.