1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW JBL upgrade thread :P

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by trentofdestiny, Aug 25, 2012.

1. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello again everyone...

I am thinking about replacing the factory dash speakers ('squawkers') with some tweeters. Here are the choices:

JBL GTO18T 1": 2.5kHz-21kHz, 92dB, 50W RMS, 150W max, 2 ohm, inline filter
    JBL P26T 1": 2.5kHz-23kHz, 94dB, 60W RMS, 180W max, 6 ohm, inline crossover
    MB Quart 1.2": 3.2kHz-30kHz, 94dB, 30W RMS, 70W max, 4 ohm, inline crossover

Thoughts?

Also, I would like to add a JBL MS-8 to the factory amp...but can't find the plugs necessary to make it Plug n Play. I'd need to find a way to build a T-harness, but for the amp, not for the head unit like aftermarket companies already have. Maybe the amp plugs are used in some other vehicle, and I can use a regular stereo harness?

I thought it would be cool to make it sound better, keep the factory nav HU, and keep everything JBL lol.

2. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    These are my current EQ settings...this makes it sound like a "normal" car radio, because as we all know, the Prius' stereo is very biased in favor of the front speakers.

Attached Files:

3. Smee342

Smee342 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well my prius came with jbl audio already, stocked from what i was told, sorry im still new. but i agree with trentofdestiny, my prius really likes the front speakers.

4. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you turn off the DSP, also called Automatic Sound Levelisation, it makes the audio sound more "real". The downside is, you can hear the split in frequency between the dash tweeters, and the door woofers. A squawker upgrade is pending, before I install the MS-8.