1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Key Fob couldn't be programmed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shoedad, Mar 20, 2012.

1. shoedad

shoedad New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just purchased a 2007 w/ Nav and evidently the last owner only had one key/key fob so I ordered another from the Toyota Dealership. I took the car today to have it programmed and to make a long story short, they were not able to program the key.

My original key fob the buttons will unlock/lock the car but the smart function doesn't work.

New key fob buttons don't work nor the smart function and the dealer said they couldn't program it but it will start the car if I insert into the slot.

For $291 I got a fob that can only start the car but can't get into it. Has anyone had this issue or know what could be going on with the car?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ask for your money back.

Or, ask them to research a "seed reset". They will have to call Toyota and reset the immobilizer ECU. They basically need to treat the car as if all keys have been lost. It may cost you another $100, but it would allow you to have the smart aspects of both fobs programmed.

3. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to contradict seilerts advice (he is wise, and may be 100% correct) - try to wait a bit for RobH to chime in, before spending more money. I think Rob has the knowledge to guide you appropriately, because there are definite differences between Gen2 & Gen3 fobs. Since you appear to have a Gen2 & new fob to boot, I think you can try 'chicken-dancing' your way through the two individual programming operations, rather than visiting the dealer for Techstream access.

Note: Gen3's on the other hand, require the seed re-set in the event of a 'no fob' or 'used-fob' situation. New fobs do not need the seed re-set, but do need Techstream to add one (so goes current thinking, since no one has tried to 'chicken-dance' a new fob, at least to date.)

Safe trips

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is the aspect of the original fob not having SKS functionality that confuses me. Starting from scratch makes the most sense. Nevertheless, it is disheartening that the dealer would charge so much, deliver nothing, and somehow think that the customer would be okay with it.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A few guesses in order of probability...

The KEY switch below the dash is set to disable SKS function. I don't remember which way is which, but reverse it and see if the smart function returns for the original key.

The battery in the original key is weak. Try replacing it.

The new key isn't new. Once a key has been registered with a car, a seed reset is required to register it with a different car. Some keyfobs are sold with a new (uncut) mechanical key, but that says nothing about the electronic part.

A 2007 with NAV is an SKS car. SKS keyfobs have a silver logo, while non-SKS keyfobs have a black logo. Unlikely, but the logo panel could be switched from a different type keyfob. It's not the logo that makes it SKS - it's the SKS electronics inside the keyfob.

There is a limit of 5 keyfobs that can be simultaniously registered. Since two keyfobs came with the car originally, there is a least one out there that still works with your car. Even ignoring the bad new key, I'd recommend the "erase all keys except the current one" function. Otherwise, a previous owner still has a key to your car.

Registering keys on a Gen2 is tricky. If the technician missed a timeout, the registration would fail. This is something that takes a lot of fiddling to make work. If the new key is truly new, then the DIY chicken dance should be adequate to register it.

There could be a failure in the car of the parts related to broadcasting data to the keyfob. The SKS system wouldn't work, but pressing the buttons would.

If the dealer can't register the new keyfob, then I think the seller owes you a refund and/or a replacement. This is a good reason to purchase a new keyfob from the same dealer as you have register it. If a technician trys one and it doesn't work, he just goes back to the parts department for another one to try. The one that didn't work probably ends up on eBay...

2 people like this.
  6. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never even thought that the *new* fob could be a *used* fob, and requiring the seed re-set - Doh!

And there you have it shoedad. I think seilerts and RobH have your situation about covered. There might be one other forum member (Tom) who might add something to everything given so far... wait for it ;-)

These three guys are my picks for credible SKS information.

Safe trips

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The previous posts have this well covered. Since the original fob does not work with SKS, the dealer needs to do a seed reset and add both fobs to the system.

Tom

8. shoedad

shoedad New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep I tried all you suggested with the SKS switch under the steering wheel. The key is brand new....ordered from the Toyota dealership here where I live....I just have a $300 piece of plastic now though.

I'll call Toyota and see how much they are going to rape me for reprogramming the whole system....it doesn't do me much good with a key that will start the car without being able to get into it should I lose the one I got with it.

Toyota wants another $150 for the manual old school key that slides into the fob....don't want to have a $450 piece of plastic just sitting around.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The old school mechanical key is a standard Toyota key blank that can be cut by any locksmith. The one in the fob has a funny head made to lock into the fob, but the key blade is standard. See if you can buy a blank fob key from a third party, then take it to a good locksmith to get it cut. Otherwise, just have your key duplicated on a standard Toyota key and keep it on your key ring.

Tom

10. shoedad

shoedad New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RESULTS

Today I took the vehicle and both keys back into Toyota and they wiped the keys and reprogrammed them and all is well. Both keys now work with the Smart Proximity system working as well.

Evidently the one key that was programmed with the Smart Technology was the one that was missing so without that key they could not successfully program any other key without completely wiping the keys and starting over.

$158 later (to completely wipe keys) I now have two keys that function correctly.

Note to self: When dealing on used vehicles in the future with only one key, negotiate a deal then take another $500 off of that before agreeing....IMPORTANT