1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Key Fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gerko2008east, Nov 4, 2013.

1. gerko2008east

gerko2008east Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone have any advice for obtaining replacement or additional Prius key fobs for a reasonable price? If I want to get a 2nd key fob for my wife, is it possible to buy that from an aftermarket dealer and get it programmed without involving the dealer and the dealer's exorbitant prices - i.e. for both the key fob itself and the programming of it?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius is programmed to the key fob, not the other way round. If you buy a new fob you can program the car yourself to accept it via instructions on PC. If your car has SKS you need a fob with silver logo on it, if not you need a black logo fob. If you are prepared to use a key to open and operate the car, there is a PC member that can supply keys at low cost that the Prius will recognize as a fob. Links below. Members name is Ovni you could private message him
    How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality Instructions.
    UPDATE to Low Price Alternative to Prius Keys 2004 - 2009 years only Alternative key.

John (Britprius)