1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New, looking to buy affordable but reliable. Guidance?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MOA_Chaser, Feb 9, 2018.

1. MOA_Chaser

MOA_Chaser New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

My girlfriend has an Audi that she is VERY underwater on right now, and it's fresh out of warranty. We are looking to take the hit and get rid of it before we get some expensive repair bills. She's returning to school and will be commuting, so we're looking to get something with great mileage and reliable. That's why we're here. :)

We're from western PA, and the only Prius that we see are pretty old, and we don't want anything that's been through that many PA winters. When we buy, we're likely going to take a few days to fly to FL and buy a southern car. At least the body will be solid.

I really like the Prime, but we're trying to keep this affordable while we're down to one income. Maybe in several years after the used market has them available. But in the meantime, we just need something to run her back and forth to school. I was initially looking at something around the 2013 model year, but I saw some videos that said that older cars aren't anything to be afraid of. You can get a refurb battery kit for $1k or so (I'm not afraid to replace the cells myself), and the engine hasn't been worked as hard as a normal car since it's a hybrid?

How much more reliability will I have with a Prius from 2013 or so, versus one from 2007-2008? There's a decent variation in price and if I can save that money in the meantime and have it still reliable, I'm willing to get an older car. What other issues could I run into with an older car?

RCO likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Florida heat is hard on a Prius too.
    We warn people away from remanufactured batteries. They are actually rebuilt by replacing filed modules with other used modules. Proper repair involves careful matching, balancing, & testing as well as care in reassembly. All that takes time and the companies do not tend to do that well.They should definitely not be a choice for a car you need to depend on.
    For a dependable car, you might better look at a Corolla. They are quite reliable with less expensive repair possibilities.We are still driving our 2008.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    get a civic or corolla.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To me, the big potential repair will be the hybrid battery. And the advice from this board is to stick with the more expensive OEM replacement or brace yourself for a headache. Plan on a battery life of 10 years. The Prius is a very reliable car, but the ones for sale have a higher probability of a repair looming, which could be why they are for sale to begin with.

If you purchase an older gen2 Prius, have a 4 figure repair fund ready- just in case. If you purchase a newer gen3, try to get one with a nice amount of time left for the hybrid battery warranty, which is 8 years/100k miles. Otherwise, follow the advice above and look at a Corolla.

RCO likes this.