1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Mac User ISO Tech Support

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Dec 30, 2008.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought my wife a MacBook for Christmas. Nothing fancy. The entry-level white one.
    I've been around PC-based computers my entire life and have found the Mac relatively easy to set up for her. However, there are still a few nagging questions. I would greatly appreciate if one or more of the community Mac users would be willing to answer a few questions for me. I have bookmarked and looked though the Apple Forums.

The first questions are here:

1. I installed Firefox and Thunderbird. I wanted to add them to the Launch Bar so I navigated to "Applications" in Finder. Neither application was there. What is the proper method for adding newly installed applications?
    2. There was a window with the Firefox icon, an arrow(?) and a folder I think. I dragged the FireFox icon from that window to the Launch Bar. Now when I launch Ff I get that window and what looks like a hard drive on the right side of the screen under the MacHD. Any clue what this is?
    3. Mouse. Do I have to spend like $70 to buy an Apple mouse? What would happen if I plugged my PC mouse into it?
    That's really it for now. I do like it.

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Beware, I'm very rusty on Apple computers and Mac OS.

It sounds like you are running the FF application from the disk image that you downloaded to the desktop. Often the install process on a Mac requires little more than dragging the application package bundle from the opened disk image on the desktop to the system or user application folder.

The Apple Mac OS is different enough that it is really worth buying a book to learn how to use it - try something like "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual" (or whatever the current version of Mac OS X is up to now - I did say I was rusty!).

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing when buying a Mac is to get a standard USB two-button mouse with scroll wheel. If the right click menu doesn't come up properly, it may need to be programmed to be the equivalent of ctrl-click, but it's been so long since I've done this, I forget how it's done.

About the finder, you should be able to drag the application to the launch bar. You may have gotten the disk image (setup.exe, basically) of the application instead, like timberwolf says. I would expect them to be in the Applications folder, I'm not sure what happened. (Quite often the instructions are to open the disk image, then copy the application yourself into the folder of your choosing).

4. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you have to drag the firefox icon into your application folder first. That will install the app. Then you can drag from the application folder the icon to the launch bar or the "dock" and the app should start with one click on it.

Any standard mouse works. I use a microsoft bluetooth mouse with my macbook and it works fine.

5. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Open the applications folder and drag their icons to the dock.

That window was probably a disk image. Many apps are distributed in disk images. The folder probably had some text saying to drag the firefox icon to your applications folder.

On the Mac most applications (at least the good ones) don't use installer programs. You simply copy the app to your applications folder.

OMG!!! :eek: Don't do that or PERMANENT damage will occur!

Just joking - Any USB or bluetooth mouse (the MacBook has BT built in) will work. Just plug it in. Right click, scroll will all work. No drivers will be needed.

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks guys! I've fixed Thunderbird and Firefox. And even OpenOffice.

I've told her that her old mouse will still work.

7. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure your wife will enjoy the Macbook. It will only take a short while to get up to speed on it. Also keep in mind that if you really need to run Winblowz, you can do it on the Macbook in a couple of different ways. But once you get used to MacOS, it's hard to go back.

I'm still waiting for Apple's human interface designers to come up with the iCar. :)

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Installing from the disk image: You need to drag the Firefox icon to the applications folder. Have the "window" for they computer or your home in column view, then drop the firefox icon in the applications folder. Then open the applications folder. Make sure you're in "column" view. Click on the Firefox icon only once and the next column will show a large Firefox icon along with other info. Drag that large icon to the dock and drop it there. That makes an automatic alias. I keep my Firefox icon near my mail icon.

One button Mac mouse: If you hold down the command/apple button you'll get Firefox to open in a new tab. If you hold down ctrl and then click, that's the same as a right click and you'll get the menu.

I've been using a Wacom tablet and the wireless mouse that goes with it for years.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's a follow-up question.

When I dragged Ff to the "Apps" folder, it seemed to copy into the "Apps" folder. I'm a die-hard disk management person and I always clean up my "Downloads" folder. Once I copy Ff and Tb to the "Apps" folder can I remove it from my "Downloads" folder?

10. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yes, you can remove it from the download folder.

11. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Once you go Mac, you never go back. LOL

12. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also go to apple's website and download some good widgets for your dashboard. stuff like weater forecast, currency and unit converter come very handy.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh no no no.

This is my wife's Mac. I get in trouble whenever I install anything she doesn't request, change any settings she did not ask for, or remove anything without seeking permission.

She asked for Firefox. I also installed Thunderbird because I thought she used it. I was corrected. I installed OpenOffice without her permission but so far she doesn't know and I am hoping the time will come when she will need it.

I will mention widgets when she's in a good mood. :)

14. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Widgets are no big deal, she will never see them unless she opens Dashboard, which you pretty much have to want to do, and even then you could tell her thats what Apple had on there, if you want more there are a bunch more that can be added. They are very handy though, I use the fuel price locator, radar and calculator a lot.

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The widgets do seem interesting but I'm a little surprised that you can't have the widgets open while using other apps. I'm accustomed to the sidebar on my computer containing multiple widgets and always open on my desktop.

16. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All good advice, but I didn't see one particular aspect mentioned. There are 2 "Applications" folders, or rather 2 kinds. One is the global folder at /Applications, where / is the file system root (== C: ). Each user also has an Applications folder in their home directory. Usually, they are both in the search path so its not a big deal for a single user computer, but apps put in ~/Applications (~ == "My Documents") aren't normally available to other users. Their is no registry; apps keep track of their own crap. So you can install pretty much install anywhere you want, but that way leads to chaos.

The reason for global and local application folders is that users can play around/experiment/live dangerously in their own environment without significantly upsetting other users apple carts especially if all users except one admin account are not granted administrative rights (highly recommended). Typically, I install locally until I determine if an app is worthy of keeping and move it the global folder. And that goes for new versions of apps already installed globally.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to finder --> preferences --> advanced and turn on "show all
    file extensions" before doing much else. Then you'll see that your
    firefox install package came as a .DMG file, a disk image, with the
    .APP application-bundle contained inside it once it's mounted.
    That's the entity you drag to Applications to actually install
    it on your own HD. Once you've done that and are done with the
    .DMG it came in, you can chuck that.
    Then, hop into a Terminal shell and note that the "application" is
    really a little [or not so little, in FF's case] directory tree of
    the actual binary and a ton of support stuff, and that's what the
    Finder grovels through to find the actual binary and launch it.
    The Finder normally hides the bundle contents, so you don't get
    to see what's inside the bundle unless you take real tools to it.
    So, in summary ...
    _ .DMG downloaded [which you can dispose of later]
    ___ .APP directory tree [that gets dragged/installed]
    _____ Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin and friends [runnable prog]
    _____ Contents/Resources et al, the plug-ins/extensions/js stuff
    I'm just going through this whole mill too, but with an emphasis
    on locking down the running environment so it still has my favored
    "steam-powered" feel when up against sites that try to feed me all
    kinds of scripting garbage. I might try to work up a post-install
    guidelines document [for macos as a whole, not just firefox] as I
    continue learning more about this, but there are many such useful
    treatises floating around out there already. Google for "leopard"
    and "security" and poke around developer.apple.com and get ready
    for a thousand fun ratholes.
    _H*

18. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hobbit. Thanks for the complete explanation.

19. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

You may be interested in checking out a program called "Little Snitch"

Little Snitch

If nothing else, it is interesting to see how many applications attempt to contact the outside world. With Little Snitch, you get alerted when an app attempts to make a connection and you can allow or deny access.

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can basically do that with "ipfw" and tailing the firewall log...
    _H*