1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New member, long time lurker. 2008 & 2012 owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Trafficat, Jul 3, 2024 at 8:15 PM.

1. Trafficat

Trafficat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got my first Prius, a 2008 with over 200,000 miles on the clock, in 2022 and have since added a 2012 to my fold.

Had to replace almost the entire coolant system in the Gen 2, and the speedometer went out, so I got to see most of the common Gen2 issues almost immediately upon acquisition.

The Gen 3 car I didn't really want, but my Gen 2 car was getting too old for use for rideshare.

My Gen 3 also has over 200,000 miles on it.

Overall, my impression of the two cars is that the Gen 2 is a better car than the Gen 3. Drives better, tends to average slightly better fuel efficiency (although I get close to 45 mpg on both cars, I just dip down to like 38 when driving the Gen 3 harder), and the problems with the Gen 3 seem far more catastrophic when reading about how it blows pistons if you don't do the regular EGR maintenance. I'm preparing to get a good EGR routine down and trying to absorb as much as I can here about that before getting started.

I love the Gen 2, and maybe the Gen 3 will grow on me if I can make it last 100K and it doesn't blow a piston before I even get around to doing the EGR maintenance.

bisco likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll likely get a head gasket warning before the bottom blows. pay attention to coolant level and rattling sounds.