1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Member Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kryptokat, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Kryptokat

Kryptokat New Member

I have followed this forum for a while. I am defecting from my other forum www.e60.net also a very high qaulity forum dedicated to the BMW 5 series 2004 model year and up.

I drive a 2005 BMW 545i and am now trading it in for a Hybrid Highlander. I am sorry fellow members for being such an ignorant gas hog and eco destroyer :( .

To redeem myself I really wanted the Prius so much because I now cannot live without bluetooth and Navigation. But I just cannot see myself getting into a small car. Especially with all the Monstrosities that the American ego calls "Consumer vehicles" these days. I fear that I would be in a side end collison with one of those Monstors.

I have always hated the SUV image. The compact and midsize SUVs are less objectionable. If it were me I would ban them from the streets unless they were being used to tow / haul a large load. I would still have to deal with the Monstor Trucks the Dodge Rams and The F350s. My commute here in North Philadephia puts me in close encounters with these sorts of vehicles everyday. So I felt more comfortable getting the Highlander. I feel less guilty though because it is a Hybrid. I will have to explain to all the ingnorant people at work why after years of slandering SUVs I bought one myself? Not many people realize that my Hybrid SUV is more ecofreindly than thier gas only midsize cars.

I commute 100% city and < 200 miles highway driving a year. So I hope to get good use out of the car. I have visited HiHychat.com but not a lot of folks seem to be around there. So this will have to be my main forum.

Now to the Questions.

1. I will be taking delivery ot the car on Nov 18th. Do you think I should pay the dealer $500 to keep it garaged for the next month and take delivery in January? I should be able to get a $600 credit this year.

2. Is the tax credit I get a one in a lifetime credit of can I get one for another Hybrid I buy next year? Alternatively If my wife gets a Hybrid but we file a joint tax return do you think we can qualify for another tax credit or is it only one per family?

Thanks everybody. B)

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

1. $500 seems a bit steep for 1 month storage but, if that's the best deal you can get, you'll still be ahead ($3150 2006 tax credit - $500 storage - $560 2005 tax deduction = $2090).
    2. You can get credit for each hybrid you buy, however, the full tax credit applies to the first 60k of all cars produced by manufacturer. It would be unimaginable that you would be able to buy a Toyota next year and get the full credit unless the credit were extended by an act of Congress.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Your 2006 Tax Credit is based on when you "take delivery" (Prius sale is completed and titled in your name) - so I believe "taking delivery" in November and "storing" the car would not qualify you for the tax credit. Seems you would need to make a deal to have an "legal option" on the car which you could exercise on or after January 1, 2006. How about a legal Contract providing for purchase of a specific Prius (VIN) on a specific date (January 2nd or later) including specific payment provisions.

My take: The Dealer's $500 "storage fee" is most inappropriate... just no way it could cost the Dealer that much to simply "hold" the Prius.

Another thought
    : Online snooping can virtually always find Prii in many states and regions with a variety of options and colors. $500 would more than pay for a one-way flight and drive back home.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was actually thinking that I thought sounded like a fair enough deal. Not only are they storing the car, but they're delaying the actual sale. Since dealer allocations are, in part, based upon the number of vehicles sold in a given month this could prevent them from getting additional cars to sell in the coming months and also prevents them from being able to sell that to another customer.

And, when was the last time you were on a dealer's lot? Space is always at a premium!

So, if I could be assured of getting one of the first '06s and not have to risk not getting one under the Tax Credit cut-off deadline (which could easily become an issue...has everyone already forgotten the fiasco of the '04 Model Year delays?) it would probably be worth $500 to me. Also, this affords the dealership some protection. If a buyer were to back out after they had a vehicle sitting on the lot for 2 months that clearly costs them.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Did I undersatnd it correctly, you are getting a Highlinder because you are afraid of being in a sedan due to the high probably of colliding with a bigger vehicle?? Is that right?

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in my Jeep for my Prius (and I actually made use of it - I towed with it in the winter). All I had ever drive was SUV's (1 Chevy Blazer followed by 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees). While I do sometimes feel small out on the highways next to 18 wheelers and such, I don't feel as small as I thought I would have. And the Prius has more safety features than anything I've ever owned. It's not as small as one might think.

I would have loved the highlander, but wasn't willing to pay quite that much for it, when I could get a fully loaded Prius for under $30k.

Anyway, I agree with Charles. If you actually "take delivery" on Nov 18th and finalize the sale, then you won't get the tax deduction for next year. You would actually have to postpone the sale until next year to get the new tax break.

The big question - What could you be doing with the $500 over the next 16-18 months? Because that's how long it will be before you'd see any of your tax credit.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Not so, as long as you are careful, you can realize the credit at ~$800 per quarter by adjusting your withholding for 2006.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11911&hl=strategy B)

8. Kryptokat

Kryptokat New Member

Yes! It may sound silly, but I just don't believe that the occupants of a samller vehicle will suffer less damage than the occupants of a larger vehicle. (provided that they are both similarly equipped with saftey features. :unsure: )

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe you are quoting the tax credit of $3,150 for the Prius. From the OP, it sounds like they're looking to get a Highander Hybrid. I'm not sure what the tax credit would be for one, but I am sure that it's a lot less than $3,150. :blink:

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The occupants of the more massive vehicle will fair better in an accident all other things being equal, but they seldom are. The smaller vehicle may be more capable of avoiding an accident to start with. Smaller lighter vehicles usually have better handling and shorter stopping distances. So why stop with a Highlander? You might be even safer in a Suburban, or a cement truck.

Edit: Actually my previous comment may have been a little hasty when applied to the Highlander, according to Consumer Reports it has a slightly shorter stopping distance than the Prius. 137 feet vs 143 feet from 60 mph. The Prius wins the slalom however, 48.5 mph for the Highlander compared to 50.5 for the Prius.

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

:p Oops, my bad. I didn't read carefully enough and thought Prius.
    I know I've seen an article with 2006 tax credit info for different hybrids listed but I can't remember where just now.

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but that's assuming that you will collide with a vehicle of exactly the same size as your vehicle or smaller. That's also assuming that you will definitely have an accident, and as much as I belive that things sometimes just happen, you could try your best to avoid situations like that. I find this a bit odd of a reason, but hey that's why I am me and you are you :)

13. Kryptokat

Kryptokat New Member

My conscience will not let me get one.

:lol: when they make a low emissions Hybrid I may just get one ;) I really like the cement truck Idea :p

14. Kryptokat

Kryptokat New Member

I strongly agree.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you'd really been following the forums thoroughly, you would know
    that people have walked away from the remains of Priuses in some
    really horrendous accidents. You are falling completely victim to
    the ongoing myth that just because everyone else has a behemoth,
    you have to as well to maintain some misguided perception of
    "competition". Totally swayed by marketing. Well, hopefully I'll
    be able to avoid your cement truck as it barrels toward me..
    _H*