1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Member - Potential Buy - Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BhamPrius, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First off, thanks for being a part of this site--it's a wealth of information as I try my best to make an informed decision.

So, I'm in the market to purchase my 1st Prius. I've been in discussions with a local dealer for a 2010 III black with Navigation. Quoted at about $25,000. I do believe I'll receive a $1000 rebate beyond that.

Is this a great deal? I don't want to get hosed and I'd like the best offer around, of course! :) I'm not opposed to buying a used 2010 w/low mileage. I check Craigslist daily, but nothing has turned up as of yet.

Any hot leads on when the 2011 will come out? Do you think the prices of the 2010s will drop accordingly? If so, how much?

Thanks for the feedback--I can't wait to "officially" join the Prius family! :)

2. newtoprius2010

newtoprius2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prius 2011 is already out. When I was looking for Prius in Dec, I got quoted 26.4 or 26.2 (with a solar/nav). So I guess yours is pretty much in line with that..There aren't too many 2010 in the market at least in my area, so dealers aren't discounting much other than the 0% finance or 1000 cash back. If you are looking for a used 2010, I would do the ones from Toyota certified (not craigs list)..maybe just me..I feel more comfortable with certified with car fax etc.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buying a new car from the dealer is never a "great" deal. What you've been quoted is okay, but if you want that great deal, you go for used cars. If you want a used 2010 w/low mileage, you probably won't find anything on Craigslist. These will usually be found at Certified Pre Owned dealers, and they'll probably be dealership loaner cars @ ~10k miles. You might think it's weird to buy a loaner car, but they're Toyota certified anyway and usually in great condition -- I bought one and I'm still alive!

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat.

I found a Toyota Certified Pre Owned through Toyota online. The car was driven the dealers business manager and had 5,500 miles on it. I feel I got a great deal and would do it again. I had to drive 10 hours to get my car, but it was worth it.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

5. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the input y'all! I'm now considering a certified pre-owned for that elusive "great deal." After reading the extensive review of the "2010 Navigation" not being that impressive, I'm considering the base model II and adding an in-dash navigation unit that also offers Bluetooth connectivity, Ipod playing, etc. Has anyone done this--thoughts?

6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    (IMO) I'm convinced that portable TomTom is far better than in-dash. I store it in the center console; no wires show, and I can take use it outside the car, or in other cars. It's a lot cheaper than "in-dash".

Happy Motoring,

Tom

7. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, now I'm looking at a Gen 3 II w/floormats. "Great condition and warranty until 6/13. Dark gray. It's got $24k miles and is being offered at $18,250 by a private seller. What's a great counter-offer? Leaning towards a Kenwood Excelon headunit w/Garmin after I make my purchase.
    Thanks!

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $18.2 may well be a great price for a year old 2010. I'd counter at $17,350 and see where negotiating takes you. BTW, Toyota warranty is 3yr/36K miles whichever comes first. So if the car has 24K miles, how long will the remaining miles last you?

Happy Motoring,

Tom

9. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Settled on a deal for the Gen 3 II w/floormats. Great condition other than 1 minor scratch on front bumper and warranty until 6/13. Dark gray. It's got 24k miles and we settled on a price of $17,750. I'm picking it up this week--can't wait! So, how'd I do on the price?

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty good price. I've seen Certified dealers charge $18-20k for the same trim depending on the miles (usually between 10k-20k miles).

Do you have to pay tax from a private sale?

11. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    guy sold it out from under me for his original asking price of $18,250 instead of our agreed upon price of $17,750. 3 days before i was going to pick it up! ugh! oh well..back to the drawing board, i guess.. siiiiiiiiiiigh.

do you all think the # of used 2010s will increase in quantity and drop in price after the 2011s are officially released (not yet available here in washington state)

12. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II