1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Member/Prius Ordered

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mbelofsky, Apr 16, 2006.

1. mbelofsky

mbelofsky New Member

Hi! I am glad I found this site today. The savings on the warranty alone will be worth it.

I have been looking for a new car (since I gave my son my 2003 Stratus). I am currently using my Ram truck to get around (usually just used to deliver pinball machines).

My father in law tried to get me to get an Avalon. It is a great car, but I would rather have a fuel efficient car (and one I can better afford). The Prius is the answer and I ordered one on Thursday. (Red w/Gray package 8 -- hopegully it will come in the next few months.)

I have been debating with myself whether to buy the warranty. $1,650 is a lot of money. Although there is piece of mind, it is a Toyota and will probably last. Then I thought about my computer purchases. My rule of thumb is NOT to buy a waaranty on a desktop but I always do on a laptop. I realized that the Prius (as is most new cars now) is basically a laptop that you happen to be able to sit in and drive around. So I will get the warranty.

I am considering the Premium Auto Car package to 55K, 4 years with the 3 major services for $995. I need to call the dealership and see what their price is on a 15k, 30k and 45k tune up. Maybe it will be worth it. Any opinions?

Thanks
    Michael Belofsky
    Purcellville, Virginia

2. abas

abas New Member

Your best deal for the extended warranty is right here on Priuschat. You have a while before you need to make the purchase, until 36000 miles. I'm not familiar with the other service that you referred to. Someone else will probably address that.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    call up your dealer and find out the prices. however, the work is really easy and can be done yourself or at non-dealer places for cheap.

4. Ravenlocks

Ravenlocks New Member

I just bought mine last week, and I decided to wait on the buying the warranty. At the moment, I don't know if I will trade it in for another one later on, or keep the car. If I do keep it, I may get the warranty just in case. However, I wasn't ready to make that decision upon the purchase of my car. First time owning a Toyota, but from what I reading here, I'm in good hands.

Kim :)

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbelofsky @ Apr 16 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]240606[/snapback]</div>
    I would suggest NOT getting the service package. You can look at the Maintenance guide on Toyota's site. Prius maintenance consists mainly of changing the oil and filters and looking to make sure everything is OK. Like galaxee said, easy to do yourself or by a local mechanic with Toyota experience.

I stupidly bought the package. They always say they add 5 quarts of oil (it holds 3+) and I would never pay as much as they list for an oil change at an independent shop. The 15K, 30K, and 45K "major" servicings are just like the regular 5K oil changes, but you are supposed to check a few more things.

Save your money for mods...

6. mbelofsky

mbelofsky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 17 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]240795[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I will probably not get the service contract for maintenance. Still thinking about the extended warranty but it looks like I have some time.

Thanks
    Michael

7. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbelofsky @ Apr 16 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]240606[/snapback]</div>
    1. It's maybe 2 hours away from you, but did you try Miller Toyota in Manassas? They may be able to get you your Prius faster than "the next few months." It took us only 17 days from the date of order to when the Prius rolled off the truck. Our salesman's name is Hash (703-396-5037), and I understand from another thread on Priuschat that several people have been very pleased with the prices that Sarah Baumgartner (703-396-5026) got for them.

2. Extended warranty - check out the PriusChat Marketplace - Sponsored Commercial Sales - you can get a 7 year/ 100K mile/ $0 deductible extended warranty for $990.

3. Service contracts ... it doesn't seem to me that they are worth the money.