1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vjz, Nov 26, 2010.

1. vjz

vjz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all!

I'm actually joining because I want to be here in case my girlfriend's new Prius needs help or other info needed.

She just picked up a 2005 with 138,000 miles on it. It was at a Toyota dealer in our area and in decent shape The front bumper has a crack in the lower section under the fog lights (which are actually missing), and also some scuffs on it. The inside is clean. She paid $4,900 plus tax for it coming out the door at $5350 even. We think the dealer was so slow that they just wanted to get rid of the car and go home (As it was like 7PM when we got there and past closing time when we left.)

Not a bad deal!

It got me thinking that I want to get rid of my Saab for a Prius. I cannot afford a second gen, but first gens seem to be popping up for less than $3,000. Are they reliable enough to trust buying with say 187,000 miles? I found one about two hours away for $2,900 in excellent shape. I'd like to get something that's really efficient and a Toyota product again.

I have a 1976 Celica GT liftback that is in pristine condition, so I don't drive that in the winter.

All thoughts are appreciated and I look forward to doing things to my girlfriend's car without me spending money on it...lol

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

I would not advise buying a high-mileage Classic (model years 2001-2003) because there are a number of known problem areas. Although the failure rate % is not high, if any happen to you then you will face a four-digit repair bill at the dealer. For example: electric steering gear, inverter, traction battery, transaxle. Dealership repairs for each of the last three items will exceed the selling price that you quoted in your msg above.

187K miles is at or near end-of-life. It would be reasonable to expect some significant repairs will be needed to keep the car on the road over the next few years.

3. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Although I am new myself and don't have a ton of experience with the Prius itself, I am really experienced in buying used cars.

Anything with that amount of miles on it you are probably going to invest the amount you spent buying the car on repairs in order to keep it running. With the Prius I'd assume it would be even more expensive because of all the new technology.

A little while back I bought a Nissan from a licensed dealer for a little over 4,000, with only 137,000 miles on it. Out the door I spent about as much as you were talking about in your post, but I ended up having to replace the transmission right after the purchase warranty window (3,000 miles I believe).

Just food for thought.

:welcome:

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 on Patricks comments.

As to possible source for a low cost Gen II, you should consider
    calling/visiting Steve Woodruff at AutoBeYours in Scottsburg, IN.

They are a Gen II, '04-'09, Prius-specific salvage yard and rebuilder
    -- no Gen I's, don't even ask :

AutoBeYours.com