1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Minnesota Used Prius Wannabe

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JohnnieKay, Apr 21, 2016.

1. JohnnieKay

JohnnieKay New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Priuschat! I'm a new member, JohnnieKay, in my 50's, and have a 2005 Corolla which my daughter wants to buy. I want to get a rust-free Prius $5,00 or lower. I'm looking for some input on what to buy. I have found: There are 2001 (G1?) Priuses with less than 100K for under $3K. There are many 2005 G2?) Priuses for $4k-$5K, even a 2008 with 150K miles around $5K. Any ideas what to look for or stay away from? Any ideas/thoughts on the gas engine, electric power/battery system and CVT transmission? Would you shy away from a decent G1 with low miles? What else should I be wondering about? Are hatchbacks handy or not? OK! Thank you all!

Jon Senum and ozmatt like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I personally (and MANY others) would shy away from any prius older than Gen II (2004), because there are fewer & fewer parts available. But after Gen 1 - production of parts REALLY ramped up.
    Welcome !!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! agree with hill ^ stay away from gen 1, 2001-2003. there's a thread here about who should own one and who should not.
    gen 2 are great, but if you're going to buy a 10 year old car, or one with 150,000+ miles, you need to be an excellent diy-er, or have a good amount of cash for dealer repairs.
    as far as hatchback goes, it's a very flexible design. a little noisier than a sedan, but i wouldn't go back. i load all kine of stuff in mine.
    all the best with your decision!(y)