1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Motegi Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kcopen, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kcopen

kcopen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thought you guys might like to see a quick pick of the new Motegi wheels i put on my '05 Prius this morning. Motegi SP10, seemed like a nice balance of style/cost/weight. They are about 14lbs each. The 14 mile trip from my installer to my office yielded about the same gas mileage I had been receiving with the stock wheels. Small sample size though.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been toying with the idea of getting those rims for some time now, but cost v benefit has prevented me from doing it. I'd love to see if I could gain another few mpg with a lighter rim and a low rolling resistance tire.

3. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to a heavier (4 lb each) steel wheel and didn't notice a decrease. I can't imagine that you would see a noticeable increase with a lighter wheel.

4. kcopen

kcopen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah i originally wanted to get the Motegi Tracklite but didn't want to pay twice the price. I figured the SP10's were around the same weight as the stock wheels so I could at least expect the same performance and get a wheels that is light years nicer (in my opinion anyway) then the stock wheel with the plastic covers

5. mec0t0

mec0t0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am interested to know what tire size you put on your Motegi rims. I have the same wheels with Kumho KR21 tires in 195/60R15. Might go back to 185/65R15 on my next tire change to gain some MPG back.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are those 16s? If they are, they're not that bad for weight!

7. kcopen

kcopen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no they are the 15x7's, that's why they are light. I really would have liked to get the 16's or 17's, but I resisted in the interest of gas mileage.

The tires are also the stock size 185/65R15, which i know give the best mileage. Basically i was just trying to add a little style and maintain the same fuel efficency.

Actually after driving on them for a few days, I seem to be getting slightly better gas mileage much to my surprise, I can only guess that they may be slightly lighter then the stock wheel setup, either that or my tire pressure was low or something. But i've been averaging 50 where i was getting around 48 (not sure how some people here average 55, that amazes me).