1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Motorola MPx220

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Oct 17, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [align=center:5a784c1eeb] [Broken External Image]:http://a508.g.akamai.net/7/508/787/20040729192644/www.motorola.com/mot/image/6/6776_MotImage.jpg
    [/align:5a784c1eeb]
    The New Motorola MPx220 Bluetooth with 1.2MP camera (with flash) cell phone was apparently just released for sale today (10/17/04). This looks like a really good option. It also has Windows mobile and an MP3 player as well as an external memory card slot.

Currently the Best Buys flier (couldn't locate it online) that came in today's Sunday inserts shows it available from Cingular with their usual 1000AT minutes with roll-over for $250 with activation.

I don't think I can cancel my ATT WS v500 I've already ordered at Amazon and I can't find this phone offered anywhere on the internet yet, but I'd imagine it will show up soon.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"45722)</div>
    You should be able to cancel any cell phone contract within 14 days of activating the service.

3. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally Motorola decided to fix keypad design :mrgreen:
    It seems like expensive phone.

4. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I just got the MPx220 from Best Buy last Friday and I am continually amazed at all the features I am discovering :D . The bluetooth pairs well with the Prius and was only moderately difficult to set up. The hardest part of it was just learning how to use the smart phone OS after that setup was a breeze. I haven't tried updloading the phonebook yet so I will let everyone know how it goes once I do. Also does anyone know if you can pair 2 phones with the Prius at one time. I also have a v600 for work that was paired before the MPx220 and it seemed like when I setup the MPx the bluetooth for the v600 turned off.

Justin

5. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how much did you paid?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiMHpwr\";p=\"45863)</div>
    Get out there and upload that phone book and let us know how it goes...you've got responsibilities here darn it!! :wink:

Anyway, yes, you can have up to, I think, 4 phones set up with the Prius, one will be selected as the 'main' phone when there are more than one in the vehicle at a time.

Anyway, please do continue to give updates....
    Other info we want is:
    1)Phone book uploade
    2)Does the phone ring through the car, through the phone, or both?
    3)Signal strength (and roaming) display
    4)Will the Prius pick up an ongoing call when you start the car and will a call initiated via the bluetooth continue if you shut off and exit the car...if so do you have to do something to make that happen or is it automatic.

Get out there and get to work man...we need a full report, typed, double spaced and error checked by Oh 600 hours!!! :guns: :guns:

7. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I got the phone for ~$300 after a $50 mail in rebate w/ a 1 year service agreement. I could have made that $250 with $100 rebate and a 2 year agreement. Also I was told it was only available for new customers. Also for $20 a month I got a new data plan that isn't listed on the Cingular web site that gives me unlimited internet access throught Pocket IE It is a little slower than dial up, but it has desktop like browsing.

:) Private Chapel reporting to duty :guns:

So here is how the phone acts with the Prius:

-The phone only rings through itself but it does mute the radio and change displays when there is an incoming call.

-Signal strength does not transfer over bluetooth but it does say that I am on my home network, though I don't know if it shows roaming.

-When a call is in progress before the Prius is started the bluetooth connects when the Prius starts but you need to choose to used hands free from the phone menu to hear the call over the car speakers. A call intiated by bluetooth while the car is on will also continue if you power off the Prius, however there seemed to be about a 3 to 5 sec delay for the transfer.

-As for uploading the phonebook :? Let me sa it is not easy. First of all I tried it for about 30min without any progress because I couldn't find a way to make the phone send any contact info. Finally I went back outside with my PowerBook (bluetooth capable) and noticed that when I went to beam a contact from the phone (something I thought was IR specific) the phone found my PowerBook. So I put the prius in file transfer mode and the phone found it too. Piece of cake from here right. Wrong :x I got it to transfer (one at a time) but when I checked the phone book it had the contact name but the number was all verticle lines. So it turns out that when I synced my contacts from MS Outlook it put in parenthesis and hypens in the number ex: (888) 555-1234 the Prius likes it like this 8885551234 also The MPx stores multiple numbers per name so it would take the first # in the list no matter if you tried to "beam" a specific one. I haven't uploaded a phonebook from any other phone but I imagine this is 5 times as tedious as any other.

In general the phone performs great.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At ease Private, good work!

9. ekc

ekc New Member

Re: New phone to work with my Prius

I have a different problem than you guys. I have a pre-paid phone service with Cingular, so I'm not going to get a price break on a new phone with a 'contract'. I basically use it for emergencies or if I'm late coming home from shopping so the 'ball and chain' doesn't worry.

10. CHART

CHART Member

I've been using the Siemens S-56 since this summer and it works great.

11. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Update on the MPx220

Well I haven't really used it much in the Prius w/bluetooth, but I have been running into some snags. It seems that if the phone is in the silent profile it automatically puts any voice conversation in mute. This was really annoying when I was trying to make or receive several calls. It is my recommendation that if someone is buying this phone primarily for hands free in the Prius to go with another model. My work phone a V600 works great with every respect to making receiving calls, but no phonebook transfer.

Justin