1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New NAV System Developed By Google Earth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by benbethel, May 13, 2006.

1. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota offers a real-time system in Japan, with an On-Star equivalent. I guess the rest of the world is just a little too big and unconnected compared to Japan. I like the Google-earth perspective; overhead view is fine for detail turn-turn navigation, but zoom out and look where the road goes over the horizon...

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is just what we need.

(said in my best impression of Otto from The Simpsons:)

"Cool! I can see my house over there! Check it out!"

Followed by "Whoa! There's the hospital...where they'll be taking us after they extricate us..."

4. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

One complaint I have about the Toyota Nav system is that it doesn't give me a very good idea of where I am in the world. Having a Bird's eye view that shows what's close in detail and what's far away in less detail would be useful sometimes for planning purposes and for getting my bearings in a new area. But while I'm driving I'd much prefer the current Toyota "stick figure picture of next intersection".

As pictured, the prototype looks much more useful for planning than for actually driving.

5. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ May 14 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]255276[/snapback]</div>
    I always carry the (old fashioned, obsolete, etc) paper map book with me. Lets the passenger flip to whatever page is of interest "where will we be in two hours and want to stop for lunch?" kind of thing. Too hard to zoom around via nav screen.