1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New navigation CD Swap out for 2004's - R U seeing RED?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by willys, Jan 1, 2005.

1. willys

willys Junior Member

what to do??

We wait in great anticipation for new NAV CD and dealer reports destination computations that route driver to longer routes than on first 2004 CD. You get there....just takes forever!

Biggest trouble is that techs are instructed to immediately break the disk in half - preventing re-install if you are unhappy with "new" disk.

Anyone else experience these same challenges?? :? :?

2. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is why I made an archive copy of the nav disc... just case I *must* go back

will need dvd R+DL to burn but on a dvd ROM to read and make an archive of the software.

Later

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although, admittedly, I rarely use the NAV computer for route finding, my experience, thus far, with the new DVD is that it is an improvement.

It is possible that your issues with route finding are because of the settings you have programmed into your NAV computer....what are your preferences for toll roads, freeways, etc? I would check those settings first as it's unlikely that the new DVD would route you on something longer as the algorhythmes for computing the route should be within the NAV computer, not the DVD itself...which contains mostly data information.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around here, I need a dirt-road filter. I was out wandering, and on the return trip I was routed through two different dirt roads before getting home.

Sure, if they would level the roads it wouldn't be SO bad, but these had spots where I slowed down to make sure I'd stay on the road.

Just got the brake recall, but still no NAV update letter for me...

5. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

My upgrade was just awful! My NAV system suddenly didn't know the one and only way to my house. Plus, it tried to send me to areas where there were no connecting roads to where I wanted to go - like through the San Francisco Bay where there are no bridges and through the city dump.

My tech had kept my discs and replaced them for me the next day after the upgrade. Said he'd hold on to them for me in case I changed my mine. Not likely!!

I'm truly baffled that others would say it was improvement for them. How could my area suddenly become sooo messed up?

6. AZstan

AZstan New Member

My Nav system upgrade on my 2004 Prius was awful too. My neighborhood is no longer mapped. I asked the tech to install my old software, and I got a bunch of "goobledy gook" about VIN numbers and that he could not do it. He said he will call Toyota...of course will not know anything unto this week because of the holidays. I am sure nothing will be done at the dealership because the tech, as instructed, destroyed the old disk. Will start telephoning and writing Toyota next week...if I get stalled at the dealer.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like it's time to wait on the upgrade. I Have software to back up DVD's but do not have a burner that will do double layer. I am not even sure that the "super drive" in my Mac will read the disk. Does anyone have ideas on this?

8. scalz

scalz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey! Fellow Mac user here. What do you have? I forget if dual layer DVDs are supported yet. In any case, it's only in the new G5s.

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the letter and it says I can wait until 12/05. That is precisely what I intend to do. Truth be told, my current data disk seems fine. There are times where the address is off, but for the most part it's pretty accurate. FYI.. I am from the Long Island area of NY.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ti PowerBook and a dome style iMac both have the old super drive. I can burn regular DVD and have software to put DVD on my hard drive so I can watch movies on an airplane. Uses a lot less power and the battery lasts longer. I have a "airline" power adapter but have never been on a airplane equipped to use it. I don't think I could even find it. I have used a auxiliary battery with the same footprint as the PB. Let's me work or watch a couple of movies on a long flight.