1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Noise from Sunroof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rstark18, Dec 31, 2010.

1. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had my car a year and a half with low miles (15000) and am starting to hear a squeking / rattling noise from the sunroof or solar panel. I haven't figured out which it is yet but it is quite annoying. I lightly pounded / tapped the sunroof and solar panel with my palm to see if I could hear the noise that way but I couldn't. After doing that the noise went away for a few days but came back. Anyone else hearing this?

2. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't. Mine is the same vintage (pre-Sep 09), with about the same mileage. I do get the typical dash/console rattles, particularly in the cold weather.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    rstark18, I've had the same rattling noise and it seems somewhat temperature specific, and only when it's opened to the default "auto-open" stop. If I open the roof to it's maximum opening, or close it to any point NOT at the auto-open stop, the noise is not present. Additionally, the noise is only really present when it's about 80°F outside +/- 5°. When much cooler like in the upper 60's, I don't hear it. If it's much cooler (or above 85°F), I generally don't open the roof anyway.

When I reported it at my last service interval, they were unable to reproduce it, but they "greased the heck out of it" to be sure. They also explained that the roof doesn't really have much adjustment to it.

I'm wondering if that "default" position is wearing to some point creating some play.

4. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Soon as the rain stops I'll do a little testing. I'm not sure bit I think it's the solar panel.