1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Nokian Group Buy Opportunity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bfguilford, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year at this time, Ryan at Tire Factory offered a group buy for Nokian tires of $10 off per tire for members of this forum. I emailed him and asked if he would do the same for us this year and got this reply. I'm replacing the Integrities with Nokian WR's in time for a New England winter.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would love to extend the discount to the PriusChat group again this year of $10 off per tire on the Nokians with FREE SHIPPING in the Continental US through 11/30. We have launched a new e-commerce site however at www.tiresbyweb.com with prices and everything if you want to run the group-buy with that site it would be great. We'll take $10 off the posted pricing on the site when people call and mention the forum. Thanks so much for your help and we look forward to helping "Nokianize" your fellow members.

Ryan
    Tire Factory, Inc
    800-576-1009

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Too bad I'm up here and I'm not quite prepared to buy a set of tyres yet :(

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Kal Tire have them on sale for about $10 off per tire as well. For those Canadians interested. Kal Tire also rotate the tires free for the life of the tires if you buy them there. They also check the brake wear and suspension when they rotate the tires. Good service!

I second the vote for the Nokian WRs. Great tires. Wear like iron (100,000 km prorated warrantee), yet provide superior traction in all conditions. Only dedicated snow/ice tires are better on "solid" water. And they don't wear very well. ;)

4. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update. I ordered the Nokian WR's from Ryan on Wednesday. I went with 195/60R15's. It was an excellent buying experience - he's knowledgable and seemed genuinely appreciative of my business. My local tire shop wanted $134 per tire plus tax. The tiresbyweb.com price is $104 and Ryan offers us a discount of $10 per tire, with no tax (out of state) and free shipping (I'm starting to sound like a shill).

The tires arrived on Friday and they will be installed this Tuesday. I leave for a 3-day trip around New England the next day and I'll post my first impressions after.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 10 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]330632[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm.. ok. Cause I'm debating between the WRs and the ComforTreds for my replacements.

The Energy MXV4 Plus on my dad's Camry lasted ~70,000kms under normal, west coast driving conditions. Should I expect the same or longer (or shorter) than the MXV4 Plus?

6. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you get the Nokian WR you should expect a minimum of 100,000 km. If you don't get that, you get a reduction from Kal Tire on a prorated basis. That is, if they hit the "wear bars" at 80,000 km you get 20% of what you paid discounted from the replacements. They are also warrented for replacement if they fail. I'd have to check the warrenty booklet, but as I recall, they are also warrented for free replacement up to some lesser distance if they fail (tread separation or the like). Go talk to the guys there, they seem to be pretty good at keeping their customers satisfied. Also, free rotation for the life of the tire. They rotate every 8,000 km, as I recall, and it's required for the warrenty.

Just got home from a friends. It's snowing like crazy here right now. On ice. Great driving conditions! NOT. Drove the 6 km home without any problems - about 6cm of wet snow on ice. No real hills though. I was driving the anti-Prius equipped with the Nokian WRsuv tires - now going on 2 years old with about 25,000 km on them.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, thanks for the explanation, David.

One more question. Is the Nokian WR a winter tyre with summer capabilities or is it an AS tyre?

8. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Nokian WR is listed as an "all season performance tire". Check out their website. http://www.nokiantires.com/en/ The Kal Tire sale ends Nov. 4 according to ads on TV last night.

BTW, anyone who is concerned we are "hijacking" this thread, this is for Canadians. It would be difficult for us to participate in the group buy at reasonable cost, due to customs charges.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    alright thanks David!

10. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some advice please.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area so the instance of "snow?" is not very high. However, I am planning a driving Christmas tripo to Omaha this year and since my OEM tires will be at about 20k miles I'm thinking it would be prudent to replace them berfore I start.

I like what I've read about the Nokian tires and it's a tossup for me between the WRs, I3s and maybe something (not sure) from Michelan. While I'm originally from Michigan it's been a long time since I've had to decide on what tires are good all around for normal freeway driving, rain (yes it does rain in California) and occasional snow.

HELP :unsure:

All suggestions/input will be appreciated.

Thanks