1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New or Used 2010 Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LCBlue, Aug 31, 2010.

1. LCBlue

LCBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok looking for some advice on a decision between a new 2010 Prius IV and a used 2010 Prius IV. I'm looking for the following packages: Solar Roof, Remote Engine Start, Appearance Package. I'm looking at Blizzard Pearl/Misty Gray or Barcelona Red/Misty Gray for the color options.

I was going down the new route but have been having trouble finding the color combination that I want with my local dealers.

I happened to be on carmax the other day and noticed the following:
    2010 Toyota Prius
    Blizzard Pearl/Misty Gray
    Solar Roof Package
    Remote Engine Start
    Possible Appearance Package (Hard to tell for sure)
    8,000 miles on the ODO
    $25,998

According to the carmax site it has a clean history and was owned by a private owner (not a fleet car, etc). Looks like it was manufactured in late Sept of 2009.

That is pretty much the exact car I'm looking for in terms of year, trim, color & packages.

The best I think I can do for a new one with the above packages is $28,515.

What do you guys think? I'm aware there is always some risk in going with a used car, but to be honest, I've never owned a brand new car and have not had any problems. In fact, this would be the newest car I've ever owned by far even if I went with the used one.

What do you guys think? The carmax deal seems like a fair price for exactly the car I'm looking for. Is there anything I should consider? The more I think about it the more attractive the used one seems to be. Any help, tips, advice regarding this decision is appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

2. Goodair

Goodair New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't know how much you drive or would you this car. You might want to consider a lease right now, the deals are really on a deal. Plus you won't have to tie up too much money. Most of the good leases have ZERO drive off and with very low money factor that are equivalent to 0% financing. Now, you might say that I really want to buy the car, well with the lease you have the option to buy it in 3 years. You can lease with the intend to buy and take advantage of the free money offered by Toyota. I doubt Carmax will give you 0% financing and free 2 year maintenance. So, with the financing and maintenance the gap is not that far. If it was 2-3 years ago, I say get the used prius, but with the incentives today, there is really no reason to buy an used.

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would go for the used one! I have purchased many dealer demos that have had 3K - 5K miles on them when I purchased them, and never had a problem. Chances are the previous owner got hit by the economy and sold it outright to CarMax to get out from under it, or traded for something more affordable. With only 8K miles, chances are it's still like new! I'm helping a member from CA purchase a new IV with Solar and the best price he's been able to get is $27,200, and that does not include the remote start!