1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Ower - Many Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rickt, Nov 28, 2008.

1. rickt

rickt New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Have about 850 mi. on a 2009 Black Pkg. 4 Prius. Although I have read the owner's manual basically cover-to-cover, I have not found the answer to several questions.

I see no mention in the manual of settings for the heater. Here in the Twin Cities, the heater is at least as important as AC. It appears that setting the temp to mid 70s turns on the AC along with the heater. Is this correct? Should I manually turn off the AC.

How accurate is the mileage reading on the Consumption display? I just refilled the tank (it was approximately half empty) and the miles/gal calculation was 47.3. The display suggested that I had achieved 40.0.

Enjoying the car so far - very interested in how it will handle in the snow and how much the mileage will increase when the temps warm.

Thanks,
    rickt

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AC is actually "CC" or climate control.
    So basically you set it exactly like you would to cool the vehicle...the easiest way is to leave it on AUTO, AC on, and set the temp where you want it.

If your desire is to conserve fuel there are better ways to set the temp for heat...but I'll let you search for winter fuel economy techniques if/when you want to know more about that.

The Consumption display is usually slightly higher than calculated over many tanks. But on a tank to tank basis it's quite close. The reason being that the gas tank has a flexible bladder that contracts and expands and it's quite hard to get the exact same fill level every time you refuel.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Check out the User-Guide. You'll find lots of stuff there.

And keep a heads up. You may see me drive by. I'm in Woodbury quite frequently. In fact, I'll be in the vicinity this evening.

4. pensink53

pensink53 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am glad to read you are getting 47 mph during winter. I live in central Iowa. Summer months I was getting 52-53 (unleaded fuel, not ethanol) and was thrilled. Kinda disappointed to go down to 45-47 during the winter. I've only had my Prius since April so also curious how it will handle in snow/ice. My mechanic said the tires that come out on the new car are spec and only last about 30K. He said I would notice better grip this winter with new tires.