1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner - '10 iii

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by greenlaker, Dec 8, 2018.

1. greenlaker

greenlaker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello - A 2010 came into my little fleet a couple of weeks ago, replacing a '04 Mercedes-Benz E500 4MATIC wagon that was closing in on 200k miles. My wife and I loved the wagon, but not getting ≈16 MPG on premium, and we are about to move a bit further from the city where we both work, so it was time for a more efficient commuter for her (I generally commute on a bike).

[​IMG]

Anyway, the details: 108,xxx miles, solar roof, nav/JBL, uh, i think that's it. Oh, and the boring silver paint that seemingly most were painted. Purchased from a close friend, it was her late husband's car, and it was religiously maintained at his local Toyota dealer. It's also the second car I have bought sight unseen (well, I had seen it when it was my friend's husband's, but never drove it prior to offering to buy it), and the first car I bought without firsthand knowledge of the platform. Other cars in the "fleet" are a '02 Honda S2000, '01 VW EuroVan MV Weekender and a '92 Mercedes-Benz 400E.

So far, I've done the following:
    * Exterior detail - clay bar, polish, wax
    * Hubcap-ectomy. Amazing how much time it took to remove nine years of caked on brake crud. I still need to pull the wheels and clean the insides. A $16 set of center caps finished them off (not pictured).
    * Interior detail - upholstery, carpets and floor mats all had a deep clean, as did plastic surfaces
    * Oil change
    * Engine and cabin air filter replacement
    * Reverse beep programmed out by dealer

On the hit list:
    * Shock/strut replacement. They're not totally bad, but are nearing the end of their useful life
    * 17" wheels/tires (maybe, and at least a year from now, unless I come across a deal)

I had noticed a smell coming from the rear, so today I dug around the back and noticed a small pool of smelly brown water near the (newer) accessory battery:

[​IMG]

All mopped up and no more smell, but the rags I used to clean it out had to hit the washing machine quickly. While I was in there, I removed some interior panels to see if I could trace the leak, but came up empty handed.

[​IMG]

Any places I should start looking? The trunk weatherstripping is in great shape, still very pliable.

2. greenlaker

greenlaker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, and a failed "mod" last weekend. I took out the heat gun in order to removed the HYBRID badges from the front quarter panels (it's a Prius, everybody knows it's a hybrid). Well, I had pulled the H and Y off the passenger quarter panel before I discovered that there is a mounting/locating hole behind the badge, so the H and Ys were stuck back on.

Too bad the HYBRID badge has two holes. I'd much rather have a turn signal lamp on the fender.

3. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take care of EGR cooler and valve. Clean the intake manifold . ask prior owner if that was done. So you can have the car for many years. Check all threads about blown head gasket and clogged EGR.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    agree with amos, get on the egr circuit asap, and change the tranny fluid.
    leaks usually come from cracks in the rain gutter or hatch hinges.

all the best!(y)

amos, Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome! Congrats on the car purchase from a fellow solar owner :cool::cool::cool:

amos likes this.
  6. greenlaker

greenlaker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks all. Previous owner had the trans fluid and coolant changed back in June, I'll dig into the EGR circuit.