1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner, 2014 Five.... initial thoughts...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ZeroTX, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi everyone,

The car is mainly my wife's, but I will drive it fairly regularly and it will be our "road trip" car in most cases now. Anyway, thanks to fairly terrible resale value on Prius right now, we got a great deal on a lightly used (looks/feels/smells new) 2014 Prius Five with 23k miles on the odo. It is well equipped, has navigation, xenon lights, 17" wheels, etc. Not sure what all of that is just part of the Five package. It doesn't have the fancy tech package, but it's techy enough for us.

I was disappointed to find that it only came with one key fob, and then I read horror stories about the cost of replacements. I had a local auto locksmith come to my house and program one to the car in under 10 minutes, $170 all said and done. Sounds like a lot less of a horror story than a lot of you guys have experienced with that. We're now using the new one and the original is locked away.

I actually overall like how the car drives. It can be slightly isolating, and certainly not a sporty vehicle, but it's also somewhat fun to drive. The navigation/stereo system is very responsive (even compared to my 2014 Honda). Not quite as snappy as the Kia/Hyundai systems, but still better than I expected.

So far lots of Prius love over here. We had a brief ownership of a Kia Sorento AWD V6 (terrible gas mileage, but otherwise great vehicle), but previously my wife and her family have always been Toyota owners. We had a Matrix that we drove to high mileage and sold it to a buddy who still drives it to work and before that she had a Corolla for many years. I am hoping the Prius is just as good or better than those cars!

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this community.

-Z

Cars:
    2014 Prius Five
    2014 Civic Si

mmmodem likes this.
  2. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good luck with the car.

I'm about to add another one to the fleet .. I'm debating if I should get one used with low miles ... or buy a new generation.

We have 11 five's w/o tech package ... I believe you have the same headlights .. LED's. I like the the larger tires and the headlights are much better on the five -- did not want the sunroof. For 1k more the five was just what I wanted.

3. Dreamerzcc

Dreamerzcc Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just picked up a '13 Prius Four with 26k on her. Traded in my G37. Wife drives a '15 Lexus CT200h and gets 42mpg on $15 fill-ups to my 22mpg and $36 fill-ups. Can't wait to start feeling the savings.....