1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner: brakes, locks, and radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dustyhuskie, Feb 24, 2008.

1. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have asked the dealer about these issues but haven't heard back from them. I really liked my previous car (96 Nissan Altima, 220K, 30 mpg) and am having a hard time adjusting to the Prius.

About a week after I bought it, it started making a loud "scratching" noise the first couple of times I stepped on the brakes after it has been started up in the morning or after it has sat a while. It goes away after I have used the brakes several times. It has now been two months but it has been constantly cold.

I used to lock it and go to get the mail. As I walked by the car to go to the house, the interior light would go on but it didn't beep. I didn't stop or touch the handle but it wouldn't be locked in the morning. I started to leave it unlocked after I got out, would get the mail, and then came back and lock it. It would beep like it had locked. It isn't locked when I go out and start it in the morning. I don't have any trouble locking it at work - I get out, lock it immediately, and walk away. Does walking by it with the fob cause it to unlock? Shouldn't it beep it's usual greeting when it unlocks?

It seems to accelerate sometimes while coming to a final stop. I am not sure if this is because the engine that wasn't on kicks in. Once I feel that the car isn't continuing to slow, I step on the brakes harder.

The stock radio really (I mean really) stinks. Completely muddy mid-tones. It is easy to replace? Since the car doesn't have the typical touch pad radio, I am not sure how a replacement would fit in the dash or if it could be wired into the touch screen.

2. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would suggest getting the Dealer to inspect your brakes immediately. Those kind of nuances are not normal for any car.

As for the Smart Key, make sure that when you walk away from the car lock it when you get about 5-10 feet away. That way you're 100 % clear of the proximity sensor. The car should unlock when you get withing a couple feet of the door handle. I reset my keyfob so that if I go the Rear Hatch, the Front Door or the Passenger Doors all the doors unlock at the same time instead of just the drivers side alone. Makes getting people in the car that much more efficient. If in doubt, again, use that warranty you have and let the Dealer take a good look at it.

The radio can be upgraded, but it will cost you some good coin to do it.

The Prius is a finicky little car. A lot more finicky for my liking. It makes me wonder why Toyota would embrace these nuances. Like anything, the Prius just grows on you.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll tackle them one by one for ya, all sound like they're probably normal.

Probably either just the coolant pump transfering your warm coolant from the thermos to the engine or it may just be the brake accumulator (less likely). The sound for the coolant pump can be pretty alarmingly loud at times in really cold weather.

This is the only thing that's weird. The light coming on is normal, the being unlocked is not. I'd retest this, formally, and see if that's really what's happening.

If you're a gentle braker as your speed drops from 8mph to 7mph you may be feeling the drop out of regenerative braking and the full switch to friction braking. There's a slight/subtle sense that the car has accelerated (it hasn't) because you're decelerating less quickly momentarily...firmer brake pressure will get you stopped...but it shouldn't take much.

It can be done, but no, it's not easy to replace. Several people have upgraded the speakers...which is pretty easy. And added an amp (not terribly difficult as I understand it), and several have added a sub-woofer with universally positive reports. If you're a serious audiophile you can replace the stereo, but it won't integrate into the mfd or steering wheel controls and may give you some error messages and such. But it's possible.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm going to add a couple of thoughts to Evan's post:

1) It could be the brake pump, but if it's only the first couple of times, I think the scratching sound is rust on the brakes. Some makes of cars do this a lot more than others. Our Hondas all used to do it. The brakes cleaned themselves off after the first couple of uses, but the next day there would be a new film of rust on the disks. A damp environment aggravates this situation. With the Prius, the friction brakes get little use, so it's not uncommon for them to have a little rust. It's nothing to worry about.

2) Interior lights are supposed to come on when you walk up to your Prius after dark, but this doesn't cause the doors to unlock. Unlocking only occurs when you touch the inside of the front door handles, press on the inside of the hatch handle (it's a pressure switch, so it takes more force than those on the front doors), press the unlock button on the fob, or use the metal key in the driver's door. The Prius never automatically unlocks. I suspect you are accidentally pressing the fob button or making some minor procedural error which is making you think the doors are spontaneously unlocking. As Evan suggest, do some formal testing. It will also help you familiarize yourself with the locking and unlocking procedures.

3 & 4) Nothing to add to Evan's assessment.

Tom

5. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

Noisy brakes - I will take the car into the dealer to have them look at the brakes just to make sure everything is OK. We have had a pretty tough winter with lots of snow and road salt so hopefully it is just a little rust.

Fading brakes - I did tend to ease off the brakes to avoid that final jerk in my other cars. I didn't realize that there were two sets of brakes with different "feels." Thanks so much!

Locking - I will walk away and lock it with the fob rather than at the handle.

Radio - Thanks for the advise about upgrading the radio. Other discussions seem to indicate that the JBL isn't much better. I have hearing loss in the mid-range. This is the only radio I have ever heard which make it impossible for me to understand AM radio talk (especially traffic reports).

I am really hoping that I will eventually get used to the car. I would have loved to have bought an Altima hybred but Nissan doesn't service them in Illinois.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, dustyhuskie. I'm sorry you aren't as thrilled with your Prius as most of us are. In addition to the good advice above, I have a couple of comments.

To check if your car is really locked, try opening the read door (not the hatch). If you locked the car from the front door handle, the back door won't open, if it opens, you didn't lock the car when you pressed the little black rubber button. When it locks the parking lights flash and the car beeps, but it isn't loud.

One major source of muddy sound is the center speaker in the dash over the display (assuming you have the JBL Premium sound system). Disconnecting that speaker really cleans up the front sound stage. Also, adjusting the bass, treble, mid, and "center" from the Sound screen can help. OOPS, I just re-read your previous post. You can still try adjusting the sound...

Good luck!

7. Grunthos

Grunthos Senior Azgoth Poetmaster

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't unlock when you approach--the lights come on inside, but it doesn't actually unlock until you touch the door handle. I always lock it using the rocker switch on the door because it seems like the least amount of effort, but I have used the button on the door and have never had a problem.

8. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't had any problems with the locks since I started locking it with the fob. I was locking it at the handle previously. I am taking the car to the dealer on Saturday and let everyone know what they say about the brake noise. It has also been pulling to the left and has been getting gradually worse over the two months I have had it. I may file a report with the NTSB regarding loss of power during hard acceleration.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Be a little careful with this. It is the only way I know of that you can lock the fob in the car. Yes, a friend did this, good thing the fob wasn't on a key ring with the house key and the spare fob was in the house.

And you don't have to TOUCH inside of the front door handles, just sliding your hand down the gap will cause it to unlock. You do have to press the 'gel' switch on the rear hatch.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Should not be necessary. I would try locking it using the button on the door, take the fob a good distance away, then come back without it and see if the doors are unlocked. You won't get the " how are you" interior lights since you don't have the fob. BTW, they come on during the day as well, you just don't notice it.
    Bill's idea of trying the rear door is also valid as is the suggestion that you might possibly be hitting the unlock button on the fob on the way into the house or inside the house at some point without knowing it. It has a pretty good range and you won't hear the unlock beep.

The fact that it functions properly at work suggests that the car is OK but something is happening at home that doesn't happen at work. Of course, since you said it isn't showing the problem when you use the fob to lock it might step on this idea. But maybe because you already have the fob in your hand, whatever was causing the unlock button to be pressed isn't happening. I've had the buttons press with the fob in the coin (fob :) ) pocket of my jeans just by squatting down (and no, I don't think they are that tight!!). Fortunately never the panic button.

Note also, that if you unlock the car with by putting your hand inside the gap, but don't open the door, it will re-lock itself in about a minute. I've had this happen while washing the car. AND, note that if you lock it with the fob, you can't unlock it just by putting your hand in the handle slot, you have to use the fob.
    Foot down, car accelerating then you get a loss of power WHILE it is smoothly accelerating or a delay similar to a regular transmission down shifting when you stomp on it? If you stomp on it, you can get a slight delay while the ICE/electric motor power is sorted out.

11. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    re: locking - a few times I have accidently locked and then immediately unlocked the car again. This was because I put my hand inside the handle (as if I was going to open it) while pressing the lock button with my thumb. The solution is to lock the car by pressing the button with your index finger and keeping your hand away from the inside of the handle.

re: pulling to the left - could this be an alignment issue?

12. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The problem with the locks is resolved. I used to "test" the locks on my Altima by pulling on the handle. A guy got into my car and stole everything down to the cough drops and barrettes after a passenger left the door open. Who knows - maybe I was sending it mixed signals? Long commutes in bad weather probably hasn't helped with sharpness. Locking it with the fob seems to have cleared this up.

I am not sure why it is pulling to the left. It has been getting steadily worse, I will let you know what the dealer says.

The acceleration issue: I was going about 45-50 mph in a merging lane and began to accelerate hard to get out of the way of a truck. The engine revved real high and then - nothing! It felt like the car had slipped into neutral. I took my eyes off the truck to check the speedometer (figured it would be lit if the car had power) and saw it was holding on 40 mph while the engine was continuing to rev hard. I had to let off the accelerator and jump on the brakes to avoid becoming part of the truck. It accelerated slowly when I brought it back to speed. Since then I have noticed that, if acceleration is started in the low 40 mph's, it takes a lot of time and effort to tick through each mph.

Is there a reason this car doesn't have a tachometer?

13. bayareapriusdriver

bayareapriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi! I'm new to this forum -- have had my Prius for about 4 days.

Just had to reply to this original post from dustyhuskie:

"About a week after I bought it, it started making a loud "scratching" noise the first couple of times I stepped on the brakes after it has been started up in the morning or after it has sat a while. It goes away after I have used the brakes several times. It has now been two months but it has been constantly cold."

Have had the EXACT same thing happening to me since day two.

I took it to Putnam Toyota yesterday, just to be on the safe side. The gentleman who took it on a test drive with me heard the sound and said 'that's not normal'.

Brakes were checked and they were fine -- not even broken in yet (perhaps due to the fact the car is just a few days old!). Was told by the same gentleman that the brakes just needed a 'breaking in' period. Hmmm...

I was skeptical, since this was the same man who told me this sound wasn't 'normal'. I tried asking him some questions about HOW the regenerative braking system works -- perhaps giving me some understanding (and comfort) about what might be creating this sound. He pulled out a notebook with pictures and proceeded to flip back and forth thru it -- clearly he wasn't sure and he admitted this.

I asked to talk to the 'master tech' (who apparently was the one who actually looked at the car). He was really helpful, answered all my questions and explained that there are a whole bunch of things that happen with the regenerative braking system in the last few seconds of braking (I also hear the sound after the car is warmed up, not just when it's cold) -- but, in short, he doesn't know what the noise is that I'm hearing.

OK, I can accept that.

This is what I've learned from the experience:

-Things aren't perfect (even a brand new expensive car).
    -Many mechanics still don't know much about hybrids.
    -ALWAYS ask to speak to the 'master tech', head mechanic, Yoda -- whoever DOES know about these cars.
    -The Prius is a mysterious car with mysterious sounds. It is completely foreign to me, but we can still live a happy life together. As long as it doesn't die.

Dustyhuskie, let me know if you ever find anything out -- and I'll do the same.

14. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK -I took the car into the dealer. I didn't talk to the mechanic - they have the area with the mechanics separate from the service check in area. They are overly concerned about getting high marks on this survey that Toyota sends out. Every exchange is punctuated with "remember to fill out the survey."

So between all of the talk about the survey, I asked about the brakes and the alignment. The service guy (not the mechanic) said "this is normal" (repeat 2x) but did it in a way as to say "this is the end of the conversation." Why is it normal to have brakes that make loud scratchy noises? It just doesn't seem right.

They gave me a loner car (~3.8K miles on the odometer so mine has been broken in longer) and this is the interesting part:

1. The loaner didn't have "scratchy" brakes - it only has the normal whiny noise during regen braking;
    2. When I punched the accelerator, after a second the ICE punched in and the car shot forward;
    3. It had the JBL system - which is just a little better (like stereo to mono) than the standard radio - not worth the extra cash if anyone is looking to upgrade their sound system since I consider it almost as stinky as my std radio.

So - the dealer says for $72 they will do the 5K maintenance (check brakes, oil change, rotate tires). I put this many miles on a car in two months and am not going to pay for this every time, but I figured have them check it this once. Apparently the brakes are "OK." Made lots of loud scratchy noises while I was leaving their parking lot:). I am going to try braking in neutral to see if this helps (suggested somewhere in this forum) but it is hard to believe the car got rusty brakes (roters?pads?drums?shoes?calipers?) a week after I bought it. The cars name is Tomato because I was not in love with it's looks when I first saw it. I was thinking about putting a stem on the top but that would increase drag. I think it is going to be renamed "itchy tomato" as in "dustyhuskie, please brake and scratch the itchy tomato."

Since the acceleration problem wasn't duplicated in the loaner, I am going to start documenting exactly when it is happening. Service guy suggested it might be a faulty computer but "there are so many of them on that car it is hard to know which one." I had them download the codes from the computer but there was no indication of a malfunction. So far it is isolated to hard acceleration when the car is already going ~40 mph.

The alignment was off. It started a couple of degrees off and worked its' way up to about 25-35 degrees in the two months. Service guy says that the alignment at the factory can be knocked out during the shipping process. I would have thought this should have shown up immediately - not as an increasing problem. There is a hole that was punched through the front bumper cover they said was for the tow line while it was on the freightor. Tried to say its "a benefit if I want to ship it overseas.":rolleyes: It's on the driver side which is the side the car pulled to. Anyone have any insight as to how this could have impacted the suspension?

I got my first door dinge today. Obnoxious SUV which didn't even bother to move after they did it. Does anyone know where to get exterior paint?

15. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: New owner: brakes, locks, and radio, acceleration and alignment

I found a link post by mkaresh directing chatters to TrueDelta.com which then links to this review of the Prius:

Still weird, but now the stylists are mostly to blame - 2004 Toyota Prius - Epinions.com

Excellent article but interesting part is about acceleration:

"Under heavy acceleration, the computer directs the engine and motor to both give all they have to turning the wheels. This is more than the past but still not a whole lot. ... This makes it much quicker than the Civic Hybrid as well. Or so Toyota claims. The new Prius felt slower to me. This might be because wind noise is very low even at highway speeds, and thus provides no indication of acceleration. The numbers on the speedometer jumped faster than my internal sensor suggested they should be. I once accelerated from 65 to 72 without realizing it....Whether or not the new Prius is as quick as Toyota claims, it is not very satisfying to drive aggressively. Put the pedal down and the CVT sends the engine to the neighborhood of 5000 RPM and holds it there. At higher RPM the engine is noisy and this noise is of the weak-engine-working-its-butt-off variety. ... Another common CVT issue: since engine RPM remain constant while vehicle speed is increasing, the sensation is much like that of a slipping clutch...If I owned the Prius, I’d only use a heavy foot when absolutely necessary. Which is precisely how this car is intended to be driven for maximum economy anyway."

Since I never owned a manual (I think I may have been in one once or twice) I have no clue what a slipping clutch feels like so I had to look it up:
    . . . and discovered a whole subculture of people filming their tachometers and speedometers (?). If this video is a slipping clutch, it seems to show slow acceleration at very high RPMs. If this is a common enough experience that it appeared in a through car review, it may be a software issue or the car topping out at 5000 RPM with no accompanying surge in power to boost the mph.

I don't understand much about cars. Could anyone tell me if this is plausible?

16. bayareapriusdriver

bayareapriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

17. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: New owner: brakes, locks, and radio, acceleration and alignment

A slipping clutch feels like a lack of acceleration even when the engine revs are going up.

18. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is exactly what it is doing - revving high and no corresponding boost in acceleration. It was so shocking I thought the car had died and I was going to follow it when the truck smacked into me.

I haven't gotten involved in this internet chat stuff before and know that I am going off the original title of the topic. Is this OK?

BAP: My Altima (back in the shop again for the never ending timing chain drama) was keyed a couple of months after I got it so I think that I burned out every anger center in my brain after that discovery. I am just glad that itchy got a few months blemish-free :). Since you are in California at least I know that cold weather isn't to blame for the scratchy brakes. I didn't think about it before but the test drive Prius didn't make that noise.

19. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry - I feel like I am talking to myself but here goes: Is there any way that the bad alignment caused the TC to alter the acceleration?

20. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bad alignment WOULD increase rolling resistance...

I've noticed that the prius doesn't accelerate very easily when going on a slight uphill incline from 30-60mph.