1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner extended warranty question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tjc712, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tjc712

tjc712 TC

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm picking up an '07 with 3K miles on it (certified pre-owned warranty). Contemplating buying the Platinum Extended Warranty and I believe dealer said that this warranty on a used vehicle is only available at time of purchase. Can anyone confirm this to be true (or not)? I thought that I had up to 3 yr/36K to decide. Thanks!

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have 3 yr/36K miles to decide.
    I just bought mine last Nov (2007).
    As long as your OE warranty is valid, you are qualified for ext warranty.
    Your dealer was playing the usual trick to get you to buy from him/her.

3. tjc712

tjc712 TC

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the info on the extended warranty on a pre-owned certified Prius. Your post made me check with Toyota (who confirmed what you said). After a disagreement with the dealer over same, who apparently checked with Toyota also, I received an add'l $500 discount along with an apology. Much obliged!! I'm glad I joined this board and I'm gonna be checking in here often. TC

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is my plan...at about the 35th year of ownership I plant to extend the warranty on my Prius. However, I am just wondering whether the price of the extended warranty will go up or remain the same after 3 years. :confused:

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the risk you take, and which I'm taking too. That said, the price hasn't gone up much, if at all, during the past few years. I believe that during the past three years, the MSRP of the Toyota Platinum Care 7yrs/100k Extended Warranty went up from $1600 to $1800, and Troy's price for the same warranty only went up a few bucks to its present $990.

BTW, besides putting a tickler on the 36 months limitation, be sure to watch out for the 36,000 miles limitation.