1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new owner for a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Terry Todd, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Terry Todd

Terry Todd Guest

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2005 Prius yesterday. They offered me a aftermarket warranty that I have 24 hours from last night to decide if I want to get or not. The car has 46,800 miles on it so it still has EV parts still under Toyota warranty.
    I'm undecided as to whether or not I should get the aftermarket warranty.

2. scotthershall

scotthershall New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do some research on the warranty company. Some have a history of not paying when you need it to.

Extended warranties are largely considered as a bad investment. However, if you cannot afford a $3000 to $5000 repair out of pocket, then the extended warranty might be worth it in a piece-of-mind sort of way, especially if you roll it in to a car loan. If you have the ability to easily obtain $2000 to $5000 for a costly repair then the extended warranty isn't worth it.

But do research first, if you have time. Check the BBB and do some searching on the internet.

Scott

Edit: grammar

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't get it. IMO, extended warranties are nearly always not worth it.

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have to really abuse your car in order to get your money's worth on those insurance. Read more on this site, you will know how to care for the car and your cost of maintenance will be low. Even if your hybrid battery gone bad, it will not cost at much as most people think. And as I see it, the chance of it happening is really really low. I don't worry about it at all.

5. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Terry: That's VERY low mileage for a 2005 -- Mine has 150,000 and still going strong. I wouldn't get the extended warranty.