1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner gas smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 1slobalt12, Jul 28, 2018.

1. 1slobalt12

1slobalt12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey everyone just bought my first prius. It's a 2008 with 62k miles, its main use is for my 140mile round trip work commute as my other vehicle (built jeep wrangler) is a gas guzzler.

When I bought the car 2 weeks ago its was very clean and drives great for a 10 year old car.

I did just notice though a smell of gas coming from the engine bay when first starting the engine after it's been sitting for a few hours. I do most of my automotive work myself but since Im new to hybrids and just bought it I'm going to take it to the dealership and let them handle. My first thought is the o rings on the fuel Injectors, is there any recalls or issue in this regard I should be aware of?

Also I noticed that the coolant overflow for the engine was empty but when opening up the radiator you can see coolant. I'm going to have them check that out as well. I did not realize when buying the car there was 2 coolant systems.

Anything else I should check prior to bringing it in? I have been searching around on the forums for known issues etc.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on your Prius purchase.

Empty engine coolant reservoir: Use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant to replenish. Inspect the engine coolant pump bearing for whitish or pinkish coolant stains on the pump body or deposited on the air conditioner compressor housing beneath the coolant pump. If you see any signs of coolant leaking, replace the engine coolant pump.

Gasoline fumes: You should never smell this. There are no associated recalls. As you suggested, the fuel injector O-rings may be at fault although this has not really been reported as an issue. Make sure the air cleaner plastic housing has no cracks or faults and check the tightness of the clamp that attaches the bottom of the housing to the throttle body. The lid of the plastic housing has a charcoal filter which is supposed to catch HC fumes coming up from the throttle body.

While you are looking around, look at the condition of the air filter (the bottom is going to be the dirty side), and inspect the throttle body plate and throttle body interior. If you see blackish stains in the throttle body interior, clean that out. Remove the air cleaner housing from the throttle body for access. Use a clean cloth moistened with throttle body cleaner and scrub out the dirt in the throttle body.

Don't drown the throttle body in cleaner fluid. This causes two problems: 1) dirty fluid will run along the throttle plate shaft and get into the throttle motor. 2) the fluid will have to be consumed by the engine which causes unnecessary pollution.

Finally, look at the mass air flow sensor mounted on the air cleaner housing. If necessary, remove the sensor and clean it using MAF sensor spray. Don't use throttle body cleaner as that contains lubricant which will attract dust and dirt.

The intake manifold below the throttle body will probably show a pooling of hydrocarbon deposits. Don't worry about that, it comes from the engine Atkinson cycle which allows some unburnt air/fuel mixture from the combustion chambers to come up into the intake manifold. (The intake valves remain partially open while the compression stroke is rising, hence some air/fuel mixture can enter the intake manifold.)

#2 Patrick Wong, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  3. 1slobalt12

1slobalt12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for all the info.

I took a quick look today at the pump and did not see any signs of a leak so I went ahead and bought some SLLC from a local dealership and topped it off for now. I will be having the dealership I bought the car from check the system anyway when I bring it in on Tuesday to have the fuel smell looked at

Air filter and throttle body were clean when I checked so I looked up the vin and it looks like it was serviced for that and also a "fuel system and injector service" approx 5k miles before I purchased it. All connections felt tight and no visible signs of any cracks on the air filter box or any other lines or connectors.

#3 1slobalt12, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018