1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner just hit 120k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by commuterbox, Mar 10, 2020.

1. commuterbox

commuterbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    New owner of 09 Prius touring package 6. Just did all the maintenance I can think of and research. Changed spark plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter and transmission fluid. 3 of the tpms sensors went dead so got them changed as well. Cleaned the hv battery fan. Also cleaned the maf sensor. All hv battery modules seem to be doing ok. Charges all the way. Got the dr Prius app on my iPhone for monitoring using WiFi obd2. Just hit 120k got it when it had 118k so far so good. I love it. Been getting 50+ mpg and no complains whatsoever. Want to keep the car maintained and as long I can. Well kept car from what I can tell from the only last owner. Toyota owners website shows all recalls done. I got it for 6k plus taxes and fees. Let me know guys if I’ve missed any maintenance items that need attention at this mileage. Thank you.

2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the new Prius!

Sounds like you are going to take great care of it.
    Maybe check over the brakes if not already.
    Check engine oil level frequently.
    Gen2 has the accessory belt?

Curious if you did the full battery tests, did you find out the % of batt life with the Dr Prius app?

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds great!! Welcome and congratulations.

+1 to what @dig4dirt said about the belt. The Gen 2 only has one belt (newer ones have no belts). It drives the engine water pump. If it breaks, you'll probably have a warped head before you know the belt broke, so check it over for wear and cracks. The belt is under $20 iirc, and easy to change unless you have great big arms. Unless it's already been changed, it will be over due. Initial inspection is at 60,000 miles at least on the 2007. I assume '09 is the same. Then reinspect every 15,000. On the three Gen 2 Prii we've had, all needed to be replaced by about 115,000 miles. While it's off, check the idler pulley bearing. Some people just go ahead and replace that anyway while it's apart.

Baldy1 likes this.
  4. commuterbox

commuterbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just visually checked it and looked good for me. I did run the life expectancy once came out to be close to 60%. Still have to run the full battery test, don’t feel like wasting gas on it lol. Yes, has the belt looked good as well no cracks.

jerrymildred and dig4dirt like this.
  5. commuterbox

commuterbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The belt must have been replaced before because it looked pretty new but I’ll keep reinspecting it every 15k mikes. Thanks for the reply guys.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great car, all the best (y)

commuterbox likes this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With an '09, you're on the downslope of battery life remaining so prepare/research/save now for a NEW HV battery. Also look into grid charging the original battery as a preventative measure (see my sig). On the plus side: batteries tend to live longer in temperate climates such as SoCal.

Enter the VIN here: Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners for some history on the car servicing by Toyota dealers (tip: not always 100% accurate).

Finally, replace the inverter coolant pump. Fairly cheap and easy to do and MUCH better to do it before it dies while driving (car can brick or do more expensive damage to other components).

commuterbox likes this.