1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner, need advice (no AC)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Newsie11, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Newsie11

Newsie11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Took delivery of my 2010 3 weeks ago. Took the car to Virginia and while there tried the AC for the first time (car had about 500 miles on it at this time). It did not work. When I got back home, made a service Appt. for today. They just told me the condensor has a stone hole in it. IMO the AC probably did not work when I drove it off the lot, but I did not try it, given it was 20 degrees outside.
    What are my options with Toyota? Does anyone think I can get anyplace with them? I have done everything in my power to baby this car, I really think this happened before I took delivery.:mad:

2. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Why wouldn't they cover this under warranty? Have they said that they won't?

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope the dealer would at least cut the cost in half for you considering you just bought it and they can't prove they didn't sell it to you broken, but also you can't prove it didn't happen when you were driving. GOOD LUCK

4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a warranty issue. Take it to another dealer. There's no reason why you have to go back to the dealer from whom you bought it from.

I'm sure the other dealer would be happy to get paid by Toyota to fix your car.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Considering the car is only 3 weeks old, has very low mileage and was purchased in it seems NY where it has obviously been cold thus meaning no A/C would have been used since purchase I would call the Toyota Customer Experience Center and have them give you a case number explaining what has happened. They may be able to help you more than a dealer will or more than a dealer wants to. Their number is 800-331-4331.

1 person likes this.
  6. Newsie11

Newsie11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No coverage except from my insurance, if it comes to that. Dealer said that he was contacting Toyota on my behalf, and it looked to him that a stone did cause the damage. He will let me know what they say.

7. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wouldn't rely on the dealer alone, I would report it to Toyota myself. At least that way you have it on record, and you can push for resolution.

8. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just approach the issue from the other perspective. Demand the dealer to prove that AC worked when delivered. Do they have a picture showing that there was no transit damage to the AC compressor when delivered to you? Why is there any assumption that the damage has been caused by your use? What proof is there of this assumption? Because of the weather, the only opportunity for you to discover this transit damage was your trip to Virginia.