1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner - new car - audio questions (Ipod)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by octomobiki, Mar 14, 2011.

1. octomobiki

octomobiki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all - new to the forums here. I've done some light searching on the topic, perhaps I'm not trying my searching right so thought I would give a quick shout here as a collective white board. (skip to bottom for questions)

I just purchased my 2011 Pruis IV a week ago, and although the JBL system sounds pretty damn good, I simply miss a few things from an aftermarket system that I am used to for the past 10 years. A good low end bass response (70hz under?) and a HDD integration (I used to run kenwood music keg but now run with an ipod).

I think the pieces of the stereo that I want to pick up (so far) is a JLaudio HD900/5 and the JL 13tw5 (very low profile sub). I would love an installer to set it all up in the cargo tray in the back (if I could find a GOOD quality installer here in south east NY).

I haven't purchased a head unit in a few years, what I would like is FAST ipod integration (something where there isn't a long delay in navigating music menus) with adequate soundquality (higher than 2V RCA outputs?).

1st question: would a 60amp draw be too much for a single amplifier sound system in the car?

2nd question: in terms of headunits, is anyone familiar with something that might match the criteria I listed? (fast menu navigating on ipod and good voltage/quality output through RCA)

thanks for reading/responding/helping. I see you guys have a lot of information here and I look forward to taking advantage of and where applicable, giving back to the community here.

Edited to mention: my commute is probably 85% highway. I drive 150 miles to/from work in NYC - spend around 15 hours a week commuting alone in the car. The stereo is a pretty big deal for me enjoying car time. I'd like to get it right the first time :) !

2. rvsupply

rvsupply New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hd 900/5 is a great amp! I love it it. I have it installed under my passenger seat. I also just purchased a 13tw5 but am still working on the fiberglass enclosure. I have just a jl 10w1 in right now i am running about 80 watts rms to each channel just to be on the safe side as my speakers are rated at 80rms. And i'm running 300 to the 10w1. I do notice any fatigue on the electrical system. The lights never dim, however i do feel like my mpg took a little bit of a hit 1 mpg. Hope that helps

4. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also the to get high voltage preouts you need to use a sound processor.