1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner/new To Prius Chat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KAR IDEA, Dec 8, 2007.

1. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi everyone...just wanted to introduce myself.

I picked up a 2008 Touring in Classic Silver this morning, and used PriusChat to gather a lot of information since September when I placed my order. I waited and waited for a Barcelona Red, however, that being a really hard to find and rare car in this region (and in general, only 7% of all Prii made are Touring, and only 4% of those are red), I opted out and went with Silver. The dealer also gave me $800 off MSRP. On the way home from the dealership, there was a lot of traffic, and for most of the 14 mile trip, the car was using electric only! 99.1 MPG!!!

I've only had this car for a few hours, and already, I am enamored with it...and that is IMO saying a lot, because I traded in a 2005 Subaru WRX in bright red for it.

Looking forward to getting to know you all...

Dave

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. palamino

palamino Junior Member

Me Too

I picked up my Barcelona Red in late Oct in New Orleans. I knew it would be good but who knew how REALLY good it can be? I'm a HH nurse and drive approx 500 miles/ week. This car is a joy and filling up is finally not a PITA.

Palamino

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dave .. Welcome to Prius and look forward to your Prius adventures. Do us a favor and give us your general location in your Profile here. It's interesting to know what area folks are discussing 'cause we may be travelling there one of these days.
    Gary ;)

5. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,

Welcome to the neighborhood. You should be proud of yourself for making a decision that not only suits you (and puts a big smile on your face, and rightly so!) but is also conducive to environmental restoration, which gives anyone with a heart the motivation to smile EXTRA big.

I mean, reflect a bit on the things you've enjoyed about the car already; then actively think about how your car is also one of the cleanest practcical gasoline-powered vehicles on earth!

A great choice; congratulations!

~ dan ~

PS - The amazing thing about it is this: With most new cars, as your time spent driving them increases, you tend to build up an enormous list of little things that annoy you or that you wish were done differently. In the Prius, paradoxically, that list won't get very long; you'll be VERY satisfied overall with your entire Prius experience!

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And just how does this qualify for the Main Prius Forum????
    [man, there has been a rash of these things since the PriusChat software upgrade.]

7. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Well there is no other place that I'm aware of on here to post an introduction as a newb...on NASIOC there is a whole forum dedicated to newcomers...perhaps we can start one here on PriusChat!

Update:Ooops, I stand corrected. Found the newbie forum, it was buried in the forum for website questions...not too obviously there.

Thankyou everyone for all of your welcome aboards...

Dave

8. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Welcome to Priuschat! I have a '07 Silver Touring too. Glad you found the information here helpful. You're off to a great start!

9. gpstogo

gpstogo New Member

Awaiting Metallic Grey in Chicago...New to Prius

I don't know when my Prius will come in yet. It seems Metallic Grey is greatly popular around here. Being a retired systems analyst, the concept of the Prius is right up my alley and I'm thrilled at the thought of owning one. I have the new Garmin Nuvi 680 gps with MSN coverage, outstanding bluetooth, music, audio books, all travel info plus much more so I didn't need to take the expensive nav package.

Some questions....what are your thoughts....

...that antenna & car washes: does it have to be taken off each time?
    ...theft protection: is that extra package needed or a good idea?
    ...what about protecting that new car shine? The grey is incredible looking and I'd love to keep it exactly that way. There's nothing but expensive overkill on protection packages and I'm so confused by all of it at this point. What did you do?

Thanks all..........Barb

10. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Sent you a PM, but in brief: I took pkg#3 and a 6 year 100,000 mile added warranty. Reason: I wanted a good sounding audio system, bluetooth connectivity, and I'll put 100,000 on the car in 4 years, easily.

11. jethro

jethro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    KAR IDEA - Congrat's on the great choice. So many to choose from. I have about 200 miles on my new 2008. That is some awesome milage on the first run. I'd guess that battery was fully charged when you took off from the store. I saw that kind of result in a city run of 5 miles after a long highway run this weekend.

Got it envydude - thanks for coming out. It's always good to know which info sources to ignore.:p

12. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to priuschat owners and enjoy the ride! You won't be sorry!

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Dave,

With winter coming, don't expect to see very good mileage yet. Once the winter is over, the car will be more broken in and you will not forget the feeling of getting high MPGs.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum. :)

15. mldoc

mldoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome aboard! What dealer did you purchase from? I ordered my Prius a little over a month ago and am due to receive it in a week or so. It seems like you waited an awful long time for yours.

16. gpstogo

gpstogo New Member

KarIdea.......tell me about the extended warranty. Did you buy it here on Prius Chat? I'd like to get one too but dealer versions are just way too expensive.
    Thanks a million. Barb