1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of '02 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by James S, Apr 13, 2008.

1. James S

James S New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Just bought my first hybrid; a silver '02 with 145,000 miles. Great car but I only have one concern. My dealer has checked the car from stem to stern and everything is mechanically sound (hey, it IS a Toyota!), however, twice now the three symbols of doom have popped up without any error codes detected by the Prius tech. The car still operates fine; no loss of the engine; batteries are charged and the car drives like it's suppose to. Anyone else have similar problems with electrical gremlins?

BTW, this is a great site and I look forward to learning more about my "classic" from the wealth of knowledge contain here. Thanks!

James Schrodt
    Garland, TX

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats on the "new" car and welcome to PC. Get used to not seeing your favourite gas attendant as often.;)

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A warning (doom) display with no codes stored confuses me. Did you open the driver's door with the shifter in 'N"?

Remove the engine air filter and see if the round metal plate under it is ringed with black soot. Make sure the 12 v battery connections are shiny and tight. A loose wheel speed sensor connector?

A real hunt for electrical gremlins might not be fun. It would include opening and cleaning electrical connectors. There are a whole lot of those, and many are in difficult locations.

Make sure they are actually checking for DTCs?