1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of 2002 Gen1 with 139,000 miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kutcht1, Nov 25, 2013.

1. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to introduce myself as a new owner. Not sure what you actually call the car but is a commuter for me as of 11-5-13. I am a DIY mechanic and have maintained all my vehicles for years and am somewhat excited and scarred to learn about this new beast. Have been reading up and everything so far checks out pretty good. Inverter pump is currently working well. Just changed the ATX fluid with Castrol multi-import 4.9 quarts. Fluid was not to bad but had the usual gray muck on the bottom and magnet was covered. Have gone through three tanks of fuel and have been getting 42+ mpg in 30-40 degree Minnesota weather. Tires and alignment are new but shocks ore shot as the car floats down the highway. Is there something else I should be doing before it really gets cold in winter?
    TomK

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, and welcome to priuschat! look into grille blocking threads, not sure about gen I. all the best!(y)

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on the new car !

4. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Cool, welcome! Pictures?

5. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at ways to do the grille block and how much to block. It was 7 degrees this morning and took awhile to warm up so I think i will figure this out and do it. Now what to use. I can try and get pics but it really is not a looker as it has character and is sort of beat up since the PO was from downtown and parked it outside. Not sure any one would buy a GEN1 for looks anyway since I am convinced there is no possible way to look or feel cool driving it. I need a window stick to say something on the lines of "I know, but I am getting 40+ mpg"
    TomK