1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of a 2007/183k Prius Need help/advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by IsaacO, Jul 8, 2017.

1. IsaacO

IsaacO New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello!
    Been reading on this site to help troubleshoot my car since I bought it two weeks ago. The guy who sold it to me just didn't have the time to deal with it and gave me a deal at $600. Since then I've done an oil change, new plugs, new ignition coils, new Optima yellowtop battery and cleaned out the hybrid battery fan. I recently moved to a larger city where I commute to work with the car and 4 days ago after first getting here the dashboard lit up. Check engine light, red triangle of death, VSC and the circle with the exclamation mark in it. The car will randomly stop charging the battery and it runs only on the engine until I reboot it. My dealership ran the codes for free and said its the P0A80 code and that cell 3 & 2 are bad. I'm only 19 and I'm trying to put myself through school. What's my cheapest/best option to keep my car alive for the rest of this year?
    Thanks,
    Isaac

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why did you change the coils? Did the car have idling issues?

To get the car running, you would need to replace the bad modules in the hv battery. $600 is a great deal for the car

IsaacO likes this.
  3. IsaacO

IsaacO New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There was a double constant misfire so I started with ignition and it happened to work.

How long will replacing them last me? I don't have days to pull the battery out and recondition it as its my only vehicle for work.

RCO likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to recondition the battery for a longer lasting repair. To get back on the road, you can just swap out the bad modules for now. It can last a week or a year.....it really depends on many factors.

For a lasting repair, you should buy a new battery, but that'll be around $3000+

IsaacO and RCO like this.
  5. IsaacO

IsaacO New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your reply, what about buying a reconditioned battery like from falconhybrids? I haven't seen too much on them here (that I was able to find)

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any reconditioned battery you buy will probably fail within a year, so you will be looking at the same expense year after year.

Dorman has a 3 year warranty on their batteries, so that will be an expense every 3 years or so....and the cost of the breakdowns when the batteries fail

IsaacO and RCO like this.
  7. IsaacO

IsaacO New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not sure if I'll get a reply but I finally got enough cash to get a Dorman! I ended up replacing the inverter coolant pump as well since it wasnt working. I ran codes with my techstream last night and got P3000 P3024 C1259 and C1310. Do you think getting that new battery is the way to go?
    Im paying my way through college and I dont want to make an unnecessary 1400$ purchase.

8. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The C1259 and C1310 are companion codes. They let the steering system and brake system know the hybrid battery has issues. Both of those systems get their energy from the hybrid battery. P3000 is battery control ECU, think of it as the “Red Triangle Illumination Requested” code and the P3024 says block 14 is bad. Fix block 14, clear the codes and go from there.