1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of a 2013 PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by David A. Needleman, Oct 16, 2016.

1. David A. Needleman

David A. Needleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just took delivery yesterday on a silver 2013 PiP w/49,900 miles, and so far very happy with the purchase. Also new to the forum here, so wanted to say a quick Hi to the other members.

Question: I commute 62 miles round trip to work, over a couple of small hills in the SF Bay Area (between Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon and Berkeley). I was planning to run mostly in Eco mode, however what would be the best mode to obtain optimal mileage and see the best savings in fuel etc. Hope this question has not already been asked too often. Did a little searching and could not find a thread this specific yet, so thought I'd ask.

Kind regards,

~Dave

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to the club, and congrats! eco mode offers the best mileage because it suppress heat and a/c. but other than that, it's just an adjustment of the go pedal, and some people find they can do better in normal or power. all the best!(y)

David A. Needleman likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why don't you do your own real world testing and just drive as normally as possible:
    * one week in Eco mode, then
    * one week in Normal mode.

What does your MPG average tell you after this experiment? Do you like how the car responds in Eco vs Normal?

Your questions and preference after this short experiment will help you decide.

4. David A. Needleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you, and thanks also for the info :) Will also be using cruise control as much as is feasible, so think that should help by holding a steady speed.

~Dave

5. David A. Needleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. Fair point.

~Dave

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, another issue in dispute. some feel cc is better, and some don't.:p

i think to do better than cc, you have to learn all the methods of saving gas on the highway, which includes varying your speed, and can be difficult.

#6 bisco, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  7. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I thought it just restricts the A/C? Does it actually make any difference with when the climate control will call for heat?

Personally I don't like how Eco mode "nerfs" the throttle control - the car's slow enough in EV mode as it is. In HV mode it makes it easier to keep in the "EV" band but that's not necessarily more efficient driving anyway. I just leave it in the normal mode (no "Pwr" on European PiPs anyway).

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're going over that hill on 580 between Dublin and Oakland, you're going to find that the mode you're in pretty inconsequential.

I commute through 880 most of the time and use ECO without issue to maximize fuel economy. Cruise control is used only on flat portions as it really wants to rev on the slightest incline. I learned where this happens in my commute and turned it on and off apprpriatedly.

Occasionally, when traffic demands it of me, I am forced to take the hilly 580 route and it's a nightmare as I have to hammer the accelerator to maintain speed. It was more efficient to use up my EV before I crested the hill as I can regenerate almost 2 miles on the way down.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure, thought that's what i read. lower heat means the engine runs less due to lower max temp threshold.

10. David A. Needleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is the exact route I take. So far, last couple days, I'm averaging about 53mpg in Eco mode. I figure a full tank will last me the week - sure can't complain about that :) Hoping the apartment complex I live in will consider adding charging stations. They probably won't but here's to hoping!

Yeah I noticed that about the cruise control - seems the moment you need any acceleration the CC wants to accelerate hard, can do better with my foot on the throttle and keep the vehicle more in the Eco range of the consumption meter.

Lovin' It so far! Wish I'd done this a long time ago.

#10 David A. Needleman, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    mmmodem likes this.