1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of used 2012 Prius v two saying hello.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by gafortiby, Sep 6, 2016.

1. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a used 2012 Prius v two with 25k miles on it a few days ago (September 2016). Even though I live in Colorado, I traded in my 2014 Subaru Outback, giving up AWD and eyesight. Living here for a few years now, I learned that tires and driving technique are far more important than AWD in the snow.

What I love:
    • excellent acceleration considering engine HP and weight of car
    • ample interior volume including cargo space (It is nearly identical to my Subaru Outback)
    • 45MPG even with very aggressive driving
    • automatic a/c
    • smartkey
    • good visibility, particularly compared to regular prius
    • reputation for reliability and low maintenance. i hope it is true.
    I like:
    • shift joystick
    • seating height higher than typical sedans
    • ev mode
    • usb connection that actually works with my iPhone (Subaru's implementation is glitchy)
    • rear hatch opens and closes easily and securely. (Subaru Outback rear hatch takes way too much brute force to close, and sometimes self-opens while driving!)
    • 10K oil change interval (Subaru= 6k)
    • general fit and finish - all gaps are tight and uniform, even when compared to my already excellent Subaru.
    • can adjust steering wheel to any position and angle I want, since there is no gauge visibility to worry about
    • hybrid battery tucked away and does not take away from interior space
    • hidden storage trays under hatch floor
    Don't like:
    • engine drones if pushed hard. (outback did the same thing too but at a slightly more pleasant Hz)
    • pronounced road/tire noise on OEM Michelin Energy saver A/S starting to dry rot. Perhaps I just need new tires.
    • bare bones gauge cluster with small font -- no engine RPM indicator? no engine temp gauge?
    • blank space behind the steering wheel. just feels weird.
    • oil filter hidden under cover (outback FB engine oil filter sits on top of the engine)
    • other drivers making dangerous maneuvers around me just because they see the hybrid badge
    • no parking guide lines in the rear view camera
    • stereo does not have speed sensitive volume
    • rear speakers have very low volume
    • no DRL (at least not in my 2012 v two)
    • shin-busting e-brake pedal
    just weird:
    • 12v battery hidden under rear hatch. why?
    • slightly tinted factory windows gives everything a brown hue
    • double glove box. why not make one giant one?
    • 3 minute pollen filter mode button on AC
    • center console lid opens sideways
    • passenger cup holder is vent mounted
    • no obvious place to put the smartkey while driving. Wife has purse but what about me? I must buy a murse?
    I like the low-maintenance and high reliability generally observed on the Prius model cars and I am hoping mine gives me years of trouble free driving.

I own a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid as well. Comparatively, the prius v is faster and more responsive and has even better MPG. I am really impressed since the Prius v is much much heavier.

vdub Beet likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! nice write up.

1) no room under the hood for the battery. they managed to accomplish it in 2016 gen 4.

2) pollen filter works great behind diesels, etc. it's almost 100% interior air, so, you would suffocate eventually.

3) i have always kept my fob in my pocket.

4) all the best!(y)

vdub Beet likes this.
  3. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

My keychain is actually a full-size climbing carabiner (20kN rated) so it would never fit in a pocket. I would have been a plaintiff if I drove a GM. Maybe I will drill a key-shaped hole in the steering wheel column cover so I can stick the key in there while I drive. :rolleyes:

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    velcro?:)

5. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    LOL...

My wife calls the upper glove box on our Prius v her "Egg McMuffin" tray when we are on long road trips and pop in for a fast breakfast sandwich on the go...

Cargo space and good gas mileage were the two choices that made the sale for us when we replaced our 2006 Dodge Caravan. My wife was also worried about sitting lower than she had when driving the van but now she loves the visibility in the Prius.

6. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I'll put a silver tea set in the upper glove box.
    I used to drive a 89 Caravan SE with the 4-cylinder engine. Comparatively this Prius is a rocket.

Sooner Al likes this.
  7. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Get a Scangauge for engine readouts and put it right behind the steering wheel to fill in the blank space.

Chazz8 likes this.