1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner question about break-in time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by amitandrima, Jun 14, 2006.

1. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

Hi All,

I just got my new 06 Prius (less than 5 days) after two years of patiently watching others drive this technological marvel on road and reading about it in this forum for about 2 years (had to finish grad school and land with a real job!). I could almost write a manual on this car at the time i purchased just by reading through the various posts on this forum.

I am currently at 39.9 (with 350 miles already 50-50 highway and city in hot Texas weather) and waiting for the display to read at least 40.0! Compared to my previous car i am super excited with 39.9 already but would really like to see the car go beyond that.

The question that i had and wasnt able to find an answer to is the break-in time. Is there a break-in time after which you start seeing an increase in the mpg? Should i be a little more patient or should i keep trying a little harder with all the tips i read on this forum?

Thanks is advance!

PS: I never had the chance to test drive the car or even sit in it before i ordered and got it. The strange thing about this car is that it looks small/compact from a distance but is rooooomy in the interior!!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Several see an increase in mileage between 5,000 to 8,000 miles. That's partly due to the training of the driver. :)

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had my Prius for 8 weeks, 1300 miles, 3 tanks of gas. Calculated MPGs on the three tanks were 43.1, 48.0, 49.something - same basic drives over the three tanks, mostly the short 5-mile commutes between home and work, no radical temperature swings over the 8 weeks, no change in tire pressure, etc. So there's been some improvement over this short time/mile range. I can't guarantee that there was an 'improvement' between the 2nd and 3rd tank, since I live in NJ where 'self serve' is illegal, so I can't say how 'full' each of the fill-ups has been - differnt gas stations and attendants each time.

I've also been told that most people notice an improvement around 5000 miles. I guess I'll be able to see if that's true for me in about four to six more months <g>

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Gyro,

Congrats on your Prius (you earned it!), and welcome to PC!

My wife and I are driving our 3rd and 4th Priuses. Aside from the manual's warnings about going easy on the brakes and not going too fast the first few hundred miles, no, I think there's no "break-in" period---after which you can expect abump in MPG for which the car is solely responsible.

With 350 miles, you're still on your first tank, right? Do you know how full the tank really was when the dealer turned it over to you? If not, you can practically throw out whatever the reading for the first tank is. Also, I've noticed that the MPG readout "struggles" to climb during the first tank, which is the only time it startes from "0" and works upward. I guarantee a better 2nd tank! And as aaf709 says, you and the car will break each other in---but I disagree that anything "kicks in" at 5K-8K mi. I think it's a continual process starting from Day One.

BUT: a lot of that depends on the luck of when during the calendar year you started owning your Prius. Has it been hot enough in TX that you've had to run the AC a lot? Under 40 MPG is a bit low for warm weather (when it runs most efficiently). Have you done a lot of short trips? (Under 20 min.) Tires still at dealer-inflation level? I wouldn't worry overly much about going hard-core with the MPG tricks until, oh, at least 3 tanks---except for minimizing short hops and driving downhill at least as much as you drive uphill. :lol:

Check back and let us know how it's going.

5. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i seen an increase in mpg at 5000 then another at 10000 and yet another at 15000...its a combination of driver and car...also get your tires up to 38-42psi and have fun...58.6mpg is my average over 44000 miles ...additionally, i put in mobil 1 synthetic motor oil after 5000miles and been running it since ...also, once you get the prius "feel"...you will want to drive at 38-42mph and run on nothin but battery and watch your mpg go to 99.9 plus...

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj @ Jun 16 2006, 04:11 AM) [snapback]272102[/snapback]</div>
    I'm still very much a 'newbie' and rely on the CONSUMPTION screen rather than the ENERGY screen for my 'instant feedback' (I'm told you eventually get to the point that you can easily monitor the ENERGY screen so that you can 'master' pulse'n'glide).

BUT I've noticed my Prius really LIKES to drive at 38 MPH - it's much easier to maintain that speed than any other speed. (Lot's of local roads have a 35 MPH limit, and some have 25 MPH limit - I have a much harder time not drifting over and under those limits than the 38 MPH, whether I'm on hills and curves or on flat straightaways. I sometimes wonder if I were to drive a DIFFERENT Prius, would I find that Prius to have a preference for 38 MPH, or would that Prius like 41 or 36 better?

Notice that I didn't suggest that I let another drive drive MY Prius to see if he/she found a different 'preference' for my car! IT"S MY CAR AND YOU CAN"T HAVE IT!!!! (I DID let my best friend's husband drive it around the block once, and I let my son 'test drive' it the half-mile or so back from the Dunkin' Donuts, tho - I'm not COMPLETELY selfish <g>)

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 16 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]272446[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. efusco has his Prius trained to go 39 MPH at almost all times, without benefit of cruise OR a foot on the pedal. :unsure:

8. ched1968

ched1968 New Member

My dealer suggest to drive 1,000 miles at 60-65mph.

9. Subversive

Subversive New Member

At about 3500 miles, my mileage is about 41-42 MPG, but that's largely because I put a lot of driving in on MassPike at 78 MPH, and it is a bit hilly. And slowing down to 65-70 really only gets me a few extra MPG at best, so it rarely seems worth it to me. When driving about 45 MPH or even slower, I get between 55 and 75 MPG, but I'm not about to do that on the freeway, especially not when I am already late to work (as I usually am). And that is easily half of my driving, plus I have a steep hill to go up and down each way on the slower part of my commute.

If you are getting worse mileage than this, my advice is to try using cruise control for awhile. This will correct the problem, if your pulse-and-glide has too much pulse and not enough glide. Glide means taking your foot all the way off the gas and leaving it off until the next pulse. If your foot is even just a teensy bit on the gas most of the time, then you are doing it wrong. And for multiple reasons, pulse-and-glide is often not as practical on the highway, anyhow.

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Gyro,

39.9 mpg seems low to me, unless you have been doing allot of driving with the AC maxed out, or with the front window defroster on (lots of steamy rainy weather down there to fog up the windows?), or your daily commute is under 10 miles and 15 minutes. If not, then check your oil level and tire inflation. If the car is squirmy at high speeds, even without cross winds, others have reported alignment issues, apparently due to the shipping handling. These have been easily corrected at dealers and better mileage resulted. If alighment is good, and its still squirmy, tire pressure may be too high, but that is probably not the case with the lower mileage.

There were four things that got me up to the high 50's (been doing around 58 mpg for the last three tanks) after about 3000 miles. I am not at 4500 miles on a new 06 Prius.

The first thing was pulse and electric cruising on the 35 to 45 mph roads or traffic conditions. Apply 1/2 power and get up to just over the speed limit. Lift throttle until you get green regeneration arrows for at least a second. Then slowly inch up the peddle until the yellow arrows come on. Try to maintain speed without the engine coming back on. When it just wont work anymore, pulse again and drop back into electric. With practice the other cars wont even know you are doing this allot of the time, as you can pulse when traffic speeds up and electric cruise down in speed slowly with traffic. I have about 2 or 3 miles at the start and end of my commute, and invariably this is where the mileage gets better than the day before. This happens day after day, until a point of deminishing returns is reached.

The next thing was the spring warm up. The difference in the electric system usability between sub-freezing mornings and 70 degree weather is dramatic. And how much one can pulse and electric cruise is increased with temperature.

The third thing was cruise control at speeds above 50, in flowing traffic. I usually do between 60 and 65 in the slow lane in the morning, and eventually catch up with the traffic that raced ahead on my commute route. I try to drive the average the road and traffic provides, no faster. Where I drive, this its rarely going above 65 mph rarely pays off at the time of day I drive it. This may be different for you.

The forth thing was tire pressure set to 40/38 . You should be careful with this. Wait for the tires to be cold in the shade and on level ground. Check the local temperature, and set the tires so that they will not go over 44 psi (stock Prius Goodyear Integrity Tires) in the afternoon temps. With temp variation around here, I sometimes have to let a little pressure out. They say the variation is about 1 PSI per 10 degrees. It might be a little more than that. So, if I set my tires at 50 F, I have to let some air out when the temps are in the 80's, so that when it gets into the 90's I am still safe. Do not go setting the tires to 42/40 when its 60 F in the morning, and the afternoon temp is going to be 100 F. In that temp change set the tires down at 38/36, with the expectation that at 100 F, the pressure will be 4 psi higher than at 60 F. If you are going to be doing high speed driving, you might want to run the pressure a little lower even.

I try to accellerate uphill, to get the engine used at a heavier loading, which is more efficient. Then dead band (no arrows) or electric cruise down the backside of the hill.

11. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

Thank you all for the responses and tips. My second tank of gas and the MFD reads 47.9 mpg (which is reset after filling in the first tank). Here is what i interpret about my situation from your comments:

My city commute is about 3-4 miles one way and i often see the first bar (in the five minute charts) averaging at about 25-30 mpg and the second or third, if i get to it, at around 50mpg. So i guess its the short drives thats keeping the mpg down. Prius has put me in an obsession with mpg. Sometimes i even think i should use a longer route to drive to my place of work :) (i realize that is not the smartest thing). This is despite the fact that i got the prius for the cool gadgetry and not just the gas mileage.

A recent long trip on highways with about 150 miles round trip the mpg was around 49 which was better than the previous trip on the same route and there was this A/C running all the time with outside temp close to 90.
    I am sure i will get better mpg soon. Even right now it is a pleasure not having to make those frequent trips to the gas station!! I hope my next tank will be 50+.

12. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gyro @ Jun 14 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]271099[/snapback]</div>

I understand your excitement. I got my 2005 that May in Grapevine. Driving mostly in the DFW and a couple of trips to San Antonio I have averaged 45 MPG over 13 months and 13, 000 miles. Since there are few hills here it is difficult to get high MPG. Nonetheless if I drive it like a regular car the Prius will get about 39.9 MPG. If I drive it like a hybrid (opimions on what this means abound in this forum) I get about 52 MPG. Basically, there is no point in denying the need to adjust your driving style to the technology otherwise a Honda hybrid would be the way to go. Some call it "gliding" some call it "coasting". The important thing to recognize is that the Prius does some very different than a regular gas car when you take your foot off the gas pedal. The easiest place to recognize the difference is at a full stop. As you drive it you can use the MFD to recognize many other difference when you release the accelerator at various speed.
    Good luck!
    Go Mavs!

13. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I saw an improvement after 3500 m and I am seeing another at 7000m. It seems the glide kicks in with more ease.
    The short trips don't help, but the warm weather does....also if you can minimize the AC....

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 87k on my 04 I'm at 50mpg. My brand new 06 is exactly the same. The 04 did see the increase around 8-12k but I don't know if this was the car or my driving style. Some say new tires are really what's broken in during the 0 to 2k miles area.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe "break in" is a very outmoded concept especially with modern fully-automated engine assembly and run-in before installation. I frequently travel to Europe on business and notice new cars blasting down the Autobahn. If they don't blow up doing that, why monkey around with "break in?"

If something *should* break I want it to break while under warranty. In a worst case scenario, you baby the car a long time, then decide to take it out for a high speed run and something goes wrong. I want it to break as close to the dealership as possible.

I purchased new a 1990 Toyota 4Runner, a 1992 Honda Prelude, and a 2000 GMC Sierra, all were driven from new like I would normally drive a vehicle. The 4Runner had almost 400,000 km on it when I sold it, and it ran fine. The Prelude was a summer car, so it had around 70,000km on it when sold but also ran fine. The GMC was a putrid POS, that's just the way it was assembled.

So don't worry about it. Drive the car and enjoy it

16. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

We picked up our Prius on June 14th and are on the second tank of gas (near the 800 mile mark.) Our first tank averaged 47.3 mpg and now we're at 51.8 mpg.

I think there's a lot to be said for learning to be a more efficient driver. We started reading PriusChat a day after we ordered the car in April and both of us worked on being more efficient drivers in the car we traded in (a Grand Am) and the car we kept (an Explorer.) Just by watching our speed, anticipating stoplights and stop signs, and taking advantage of coasting, we both increased the mpg in those cars. Now we continue using our improved driving skills in the Explorer and have applied them to driving the Prius. I'm sure we will improve and our mpg in both cars will improve as well.