1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner Questions

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by jcthayer, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jcthayer

jcthayer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi there,

We are jazzed to have a new Prius Touring 2008, Magnetic Gray (had for 3 days now!); we love our car. We have several questions: why doesn't Toyota install the skid plate, chassis stabilizer bar and the undercarriage bar as standard on it's Prius'? Does adding them affect my warranty? If we purchase these items (they sound rather important) will my Toyota dealer put these on, if we request it?

We were told that darkening the rear windows make negatively affect the GPS system etc. Any ideas on this?

Also the shark fin antenna is awesome; but does it affect reception negatively or postively?

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of these questions.

Constance and John

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Constance and John! The Search function (third link from the right at the top of the page) can help you find answers.

The BT Tech parts were not developed by Toyota, so they don't put them on as standard. They would add some cost too. If you buy them and add them to your Prius you will not affect your Toyota warranty at all. Your Toyota dealer will probably put them on (and charge you, of course) but any mechanic, or even yourself, can do it.

The GPS antenna is under the plastic dash near the windshield, so even metallic tint won't block the signal, unless you put dark tint on your windshield (which is illegal).

Radio reception with the shark fin antenna depends on how strong the broadcast station is. The shark fin antenna is smaller, so reception of weaker stations will be poorer than with the standard whip antenna.

Happy reading on PriusChat and congratulations on your new car!

3. jcthayer

jcthayer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Shade of Tint for Windows

Hi Bill,

Love the forehead artwork; now that is cool.

Thank you for responding to our queries; your answers will help us make some upcoming decisions; we appreciate hearing from you.

On the tinting, we were planning to only do the rear passenger and rear window and just a bit darker or not; still trying to decide; any ideas?

I will check the SEARCH function after I finish this note.

Thanks,

Constance and John

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You'll be fine with the tinting you want. CA doesn't allow front windows or windshield to be tinted and I think the legal limit is 35% for the other windows. Search for Tint and California and you'll see lots of discussion.

I have HSD on the brain...