1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bandgeek, May 26, 2005.

1. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

Hi All,

I have had my new Prius package 6 for all of 48 hours!! I noticed last night that the theft deterent light on the dash (key inside of a car icon) flashes all the time, even when I have totaly shut down the car. Is this normal? If it is, won't that drain the battery? I tried the tricks in the manual and it stops short of what the light should do after the system is armed.

Also, I gave my new baby it's first (unneeded) wash and wax this morning and I was wondering if their was any kind of product I should get to protect/seal the leather seats. Also should I use an Armorall type product on the plastic interior parts?

By the way I came to you guys first because in know that your combined knowledge of the car far outsurpasses any dealer mechanic!

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bandgeek\";p=\"92892)</div>
    Yes, this is normal (my Grand Prix did the same thing). The light pulls so little power, you shouldn't be concerned about draining your battery. I'm sure someone on PriusChat knows exactly what that little light consumes, but all I know is to not worry about it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bandgeek\";p=\"92892)</div>
    Leather seats? You lucky dog. I can't speak to leather protection, but if you do a search on the site you should be able to find several threads about Armorall and the like.

Congrats on the new car! I'm sure you'll be just as enthused with your Prius six months from now and beyond. I know I still am!

3. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    zainostore.com

Best products I've ever used.

4. MGBGT

MGBGT New Member

Congrats on your new car!

I've only heard negative things about Arnorall, and in particular there was one post from someone who used Armorall on the Prius interior plastic to have it change color drastically (do a search).
    I only use Zymol on my leather seats, and am very happy with it!

Does your car have a name yet?

M

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you did read the owner's manual, especially the part on how to test the alarm, it goes like this:

When you power off, the immobilizer lamp (that's really what it's for and called) blinks until you close all doors and lock them. At that point, it will be steady for 30 seconds, which is the 'ready to arm' mode. Then after thirty seconds, starts blinking again to indicate it is armed. The blinking light is intended as a visual theft deterrent.

About the only time it should not be on/blinking is if you are in ACC/Ig-On/Ready modes. I have seen it once when stuck in Ig-On, which indicates an immoblizer violation. I had the fob with me to go to ACC, and wanted to know if fob was still needed to go to READY when it was already in ACC. Apparently, yes. SKS/Immobilizer does a re-verification when transitioning from Ig-On mode to READY.
    So, if you get the Stuck in Ig-On problem, see if the immobilizer light is on. If so, then somehow SKS failed in reverification when finalizing going to READY. To get out of the stuck condition, power off without pressing the brake.